Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osmocot as fertilizer

Posted by porkpi 8Coastal SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 7:45

I have some young bananas(4 types) in the ground for 4 weeks. I have applied Osmocot slow release (18-6-12) every 2 weeks. This seems like a very economical/low maintenance way to assure a steady balanced food source.

Is there anything wrong with this?

My mature trees thrive off of house-hold vegetable kitchen scraps, grass clippings, and hose water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osmocot as fertilizer

"very economical"

?? Osmocot is about $3/pound in those little off-the-shelf pkgs at the chain stores (more $$ at nurseries).

Carl Pool Palm Food (slow release), or your regional equivalent, is around $1/pound.

And if you find a ranch/farm supplier out in the boondocks, you can get down to well under $0.50/pound, they have serveral formulations, but it's not slow-release.

composted manure is under $3/50 pounds at the big chain stores.

o

Osmocot is excellent fertilizer. I use it, plus horse manure and Peters 20-20-20. There are other slow release fertilizers out there, but Osmocot has been proven to be a winner.

o

I use Osmocot in many of my applications in the nursery. No complaints from me or my customers.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

I was actually more concerned if the ratios were OK for the plants(18-6-12)? They also get some wood ash for a snakc.

By the way, my big plants are pushing new leaves up 12 inches every 24 hours.

We have had a ton of rain here.

o

• Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 12:33

I don't see a reason to apply a slow release fertilizer every two weeks. Every two months would be more appropriate.

o

I use Stoke's Banana Blend granular fertilizer, 6-2-12. High potassium is best for bananas and they will produce more fruit that way. Also, I throw banana peels and chop up the mother plant after she is harvested. Have fun, and GO BANANAS!

o

I love osmocote, it grows everything better. I even put it in my tropical water lily when I first planted it last year. It sounds like your bananas are very happy, so don't change a thing. Why fix it if it's not broke?

o

• Posted by AnnaJW 9/ Riverside,CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 13:34

Question - how much Osmocot should be used per plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here