Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shiollie

Just for the fun of it...What kinds of bananas are you growing??

shiollie
17 years ago

Or which type are you tryng to grow??

Activly growing... basjoo,acuminata, dwarf cavandish( the jury is still out on that one, could be another acuminata) lasiocarpa,ensete maurelii,and one unknown ( could be little prince.

Seeds that I have started... ensete glaucum, musa sikkimensis, ornata, velutina.

What are yours???

Comments (67)

• tropicallvr
    17 years ago

This year quite a few were culled because of cold. -bordelon, cocciea, royalpurplehybrid, dwarfnamwahpearl, ensetesuperbum(india), ensetesuperbum(thailand), other edibles.
    Survivors(some kept inside)- interans, monkeyfingers, burmeseblue, nagesium, 'Bhutan', sp nov, sp nov red rib, laterita, royalpurple(possiblehybrid), mussela lasiocarpa, E.glaucum, E.sp kluay pa, formosiana, balbisiana1, balbisiana, helenshybrid, rubinea, belle, E.ventricosum, E.maurelli, cheesemanni, (TC)sikkimensis, (seed grown) sikkimensis, sikkimensis'Red Flash', violescea, mysore, fhia18, dwarf orinco, manni, ornico, basjoo, 3 unknowns.

• john90808
    17 years ago

I knew once Pitangadiego posted, we'd have to reserve about a Gb of harddrive space in order to accommodate his list ;)

• momo1
    17 years ago

"I knew once Pitangadiego posted, we'd have to reserve about a Gb of harddrive space in order to accommodate his list ;)"

Ya, I was waiting for the bomb to drop too! Lol

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

I forgot to add a new Giant Plantain, and a French Horn Plantain, Manii, Dwarf Nino, Bordelon, Hawaiian Pink, D Johnson Unknown, and Poovan.

I need another Gb of soil to plant them all in. Something is going to be on the shovel pruning list soon.

Gabe is coming for a visit in a couple weeks. You local guys are welcome, too.

• momo1
    17 years ago

Well seing how Gabe is such a Banana enthusiast I'm sure he will enjoy his visit! I know I sure enjoyed it. : ) BTW, today is the big day for the Misi Luki I brought home from your place! It's going in the ground right next to the patio and will hopefully provide some shade in a few months.

• wolflover
    17 years ago

Wow, there are a bunch of varieties here I've never heard of. Maybe we should start a thread about what's your favorite banana. My new favorite Musa is 'Saba', thanks to the advice of some people on this forum. I just love it!

I'm growing:
    Musa 'Basjoo'
    Musa 'Orinoco'
    Musa 'Dwarf Cavendish'
    Musa 'Super Dwarf Cavendish'
    Musa 'Ornata' Lavender
    Musa 'Zebrina'
    Musa 'Velutina' pink
    Musa 'Sikkemmensis'
    Musa 'Saba'
    Musella Lasiocarpa
    Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii'
    Ensete ventricosum (Red Stripe)
    Ensete Glaucum (Snow Banana)
    Ensete 'Superbum'

I bought the 'Superbum' as a Thai Rock banana. Can someone tell me if that is different from a regular Superbum? I noticed Gabe has one listed as Superbum and another as Thai Superbum. Does anyone know?

• yendis
    17 years ago

Hi folks...what wonderful collections you all have.
    Her is what I am growing her in England....
    MUSA,
    Basjoo x3
    Sikkimensis x4
    Itinerans
    Mannii x3
    Rubinea
    Ice Cream
    Dwarf Orinoco
    Nagensium x3
    Helens Hybrid
    Burmese Blue
    Velutina (flowering now)
    Little Prince
    Tropicana
    Sapientum
    Balbisiana
    ENSETE
    Ventricosum x5
    V Maurellii
    Kluay Pa
    Superbum
    Glaucum

Love these plants ...
    Always looking for more, would give anything to get Ae Ae or Misa Luki.
    Best wishes from England.

• ariel73
    17 years ago

I don't have much, but here is what I do have

Ice cream
    Nino
    Praying hands
    Raji puri-love this one and I have a couple that are fuiting now

On my want/wish list
    Goldfinger
    Apple
    and of course, Ae Ae (I wish I may, I wish I might.....)

• Gabe15
    17 years ago

Ensete 'Thai superbum' is from Thailand and might be a new species, it is similar to the normal Ensete superbum which is from India, however there are some differences but no real research has been done on it yet. The 'Thai Rock Banana' is the new one from Thailand.

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Momo1

The Hawaiian Apple has been in the ground week and a half, it has several new leaves. Sure hoping the fruit is as good as the legend.

I think the Pisang Ceylon ripened after you were here, and they were fabulous.

• wolflover
    17 years ago

Thanks Gabe,
    I appreciate you clearing that up for me!

• momo1
    17 years ago

Pitangadiego, I have full confidence you will be happy with the fruit even though they are slightly acidic. I just this weekend met a neighbor a few blocks away that has an Apple he got several years ago from the guy in Ventura with the big plantation that is no longer there. He also owns property in Hawaii and says these are his personal faves too!

• frankallen
    17 years ago

This is my second year to raise Bananas. Really enjoy fooling with them!

Frank

Ice Cream
    Dwarf Orinoco
    Manzano (Apple)
    Raja Puri
    Sweetheart (FHIA 3)
    Williams Hybrid
    Hua Moa
    Orinoco

• chpinoh7
    17 years ago

Musa
    Bordelon
    Rajapuri
    Velutina
    Basjoo
    Sikkimensis
    'African Red'
    Zebrina
    SDC
    DC

Musella Lasiocarpa

Ensete
    'Maurelli'
    Superbum

• dallasapple
    17 years ago

You know what would be fun for me? If I had the foggiest idea about what kind Im growing.LOL! Im going to get a picture later so ya'll can promplty tell me what kind!

Dallas

• allenf
    17 years ago

I have finally been able to post to this thread :)
    I picked up 3 varieties this weekend at the tropical plant show at USF. I now have planted one of each:
    Goldfinger
    Misi Luki
    Mysore
    I am very excited to be able to watch my babies grow and to also be able to be active in this forum.
    Thanks,
    Allen

• suriprof4
    17 years ago

6 Dwarf Cavendish

• zone_denial
    17 years ago

What a great collection of banana enthusiasts!!

I have basjoo, sikkimensis, dwarf orinoco and velutina in the yard.

Are ice cream really as fast as I've heard?

• barna
    17 years ago

Nice collections ¡¡
    That's what I am growing in Spain

Ensete Glaucum
    Musa acuminata subsp. Microcarpa
    Musa balbisiana (neue art)
    Musa basjoo
    Musa basjoo "Sakhalin"
    Musa cheesmani
    Musa itinerans var. "Yunnan"
    Musa laterita
    Musa mannii
    Musa nagensium
    Musa nagensium X "Florale Noir"
    Musa rubinea
    Musa siamensis "Thai Gold"
    Musa sikkimensis
    Musa sikkimensis 'Red Tiger'
    Musa velutina
    Musa yunnanensis
    Musa 'New Bhutan'
    Musa x "Orinoco"
    Musella lasiocarpa

• kenzie_pom
    17 years ago

Orinoco and Goldfinger.
    Cheers.

• gcolbert28303
    17 years ago

I was only bit by the banana bug last fall and this my start up. Hopeing to add more to the collection soon.
    Musa "Dwarf Cavendish'"
    Musa "Cuban Red"
    Musa itinerans var. "Yunnan"
    Musa basjoo

Greg

• Lady
    17 years ago

I thought I grew a lot but many of you have put my list to shame. I currently grow:

Ae Ae
    nino
    ice cream
    raja puri
    1000 finger
    praying hands
    dwarf plantain
    superdwarf cav
    sangria
    dwarf red
    ladyfinger
    NOID plantain

the only naner on my wish list right now is dwarf namwah pearl.

• hector
    17 years ago

Fewer than most it looks like:

Apple (Manzano)
    Zebrina / Blood
    Ensete Maurelli
    Goldfinger
    Ice Cream / Blue Java
    Lasiocarpa / Chinese Yellow
    Raja Puri
    Super Dwarf Cavendish

Some twerp stole the dwarf brazilian from my front yard. I'd like to add a Saba, just to freak people out. The ones at the LA Arboreteum are a good 40 foot tall.

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Saba is definitely a BIG boy!! And doesn't seem to be bothered by the wind - very stable. If you get to San Diego, top by and check it out.

• mikevanecek
    17 years ago

A Saba is definitely on my wish-list! Of course, wrapping it up or stowing it away every winter will require some heavy equipment! :)

I have:
    SDC
    DC
    Rajapuri
    Ice-cream
    Sumatrana
    Mystery (hope to identify it when it flowers)
    Brazil (in route)
    Dwarf Brazil (in route)
    Red Jamaican
    Apple

I hope to get a Kru, and a Dwarf and regular Orinoco before this season ends. And perhaps a Saba! Then, next season it starts all over again! Bwahahahahahahaaaa. ;)

Be well,
    Mike

• boxerlady66
    17 years ago

I live in BC Canada & we bought a Banana plant about 6 years ago at a nursery, I have no idea what the name of it is, all I know is that it is a large variety, it is taller than the roof of our bungalow, we have it planted on the west side of the house & it has multiplied quite a lot. This year we have three plants that are fruiting & the small bananas are about 3 - 4" long but do not seem to be getting any bigger, so I am trying to read up on what to do & what to feed it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• frankallen
    17 years ago

This is my second year to raise Bananas. Really enjoy fooling with them! This is a revised list. Got my first Bananas this year off my "Tall Orinoco".

Frank

Ice Cream (Blue Java)
    Dwarf Orinoco
    Manzano (Apple)
    Raja Puri
    Sweetheart (FHIA #3)
    Williams Hybrid
    Thousand Hands
    Praying Hands
    Tall Orinoco
    Belle
    Goldfinger (FHIA #1)

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

Sorry to be so late :)
    basjoo
    orinoco
    manzano
    ensete maurellii
    chinese yellow
    pink velutina
    bordelon
    zebrina
    sumatrana X gran nain
    ice cream
    rajapuri
    dwarf cavendish
    several unknowns
    high color mini
    We had more varieties last year, but a power outage in my storage area (garage) one night in the winter when it was below freezing took care of that :(

• tasty
    15 years ago

I only have 5

Musa ensete
    Super Dwarf canvendish
    Giant Indian blue Banana(you can't buy the seeds, I got them when I went to India in the mountains, there almost extinct)
    Musa ensete
    Pink veluntina
    Snow Banana

People said there is no such thing as a blue banana but there is and it's edible. They say I searched for it on google but you only find out about it if you go there.

• ohgirl
    15 years ago

Iam almost to my 1st full year since the banana bug hit me, and I've went banana loko!!! LOL
    I have:

Dwarf cavendish
    Mysore
    Laterita
    Saba
    Icecream
    Purple ornata
    Orinoco
    Chinese yellow
    Sikkimensis
    Black thai
    Siam ruby
    Basjoo

Ensete maurelli
    Heliconia

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Just a handful:

Basjoo
    Dwarf Cavendish
    Brazilian Tall
    Zebrina
    Siam Ruby
    Lasiocarpa
    Veinte Cohol
    Red Abyssinian

• lac1361
    15 years ago

Ae Ae
    California Gold
    African Rhino Horn
    Dwarf Lady Finger
    Ice Cream
    Acuminata "Sumatrana"
    Ele Ele
    Double Mahoi
    Red Kru
    Dwarf Red
    Raja Puri
    Ensete Maurelii
    Ornata Royal Purple
    Siam Ruby
    Thai Gold
    Uranoscopus

Steve

• lawtay
    15 years ago

red jamaicans
    dwarf cavendish
    lady finger
    blue ice cream
    ruby red siam

• User
    15 years ago

Sikkimensis (Himalayan)
    Basjoo
    Lasiocarpa (Chinese yellow)
    Enano gigante (dwarf giant)
    Bordelon
    Red Cuban

• zone10aridgardener
    14 years ago

Rajapuri. currently trying to get ice cream bananas

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I have a dwarf cavendish, musella, cheka (I think its also referred to as little prince), and an ice cream banana (I got it off ebay but they dont seem to be listed often). Im looking forward to trying lots of others this summer.

• sugarcone
    13 years ago

Huh.. I really thought i posted here already...

It's my first time growing fruiting bananas, but I have a Dwarf Cuban Red, Glui Kai, and Manzano. They are only about five inches tall ATM.

• sugarcone
    13 years ago

Huh.. I really thought i posted here already...

It's my first time growing fruiting bananas, but I have a Dwarf Cuban Red, Glui Kai, and Manzano. They are only about five inches tall ATM.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I just found this thread again. Im growing a lot more banana plants now than when I posted in April! Well first off my musella died :( but I have lots of other ones that replaced it.
    -Dwarf cavendish
    -Little prince
    -Super dwarf cavendish
    -Ensete Tandarra red (my largest banana and probably ,surprisingly, one of my fastest growing!
    -Ice cream
    -Thai black
    -Musa Velutina
    -Musa Basjoo (2 of them)
    -Musa saba (my newest addition and is still small)

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

I have never grown anything before, but I just got a super dwarf canvedish and am going to try to grow it in indoors as we have cold winters here.
    Ordered two of them and just got my first. I'm pretty excited to see how it will do.

• hotzcatz
    12 years ago

Well, there's the assorted "gulch" bananas which are some sort of wild apple banana dug up from the gulch alongside the house and replanted into the yard. The Bluefields which were already in the yard are tasty. There is also the Chinese banana which is very productive and short. A couple of Cavendish of some sort. Several unidentified ones and the ae'aes which are more or less for decoration. I think that's about it for bananas around here.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Right now Im growing...

Ensete Maurelli (6 feet approx)
    Musa Saba (9 feet approx)
    Musa Ice Cream aka Blue Java (9 feet approx
    Musa Thai black (died back down and now about a foot tall)
    Musa Basjoo (died back down and now about 6 inches tall with many pups)
    Musa Bordelon (coming in the mail this week!)

I have definitlely thinned down my banana collection and now only have mostly harder to find banana plants. I was a little sad to lose my veltuina during this winter, especially since it was a mild winter. It wasnt as cold hardy for me as it was for others.
    -Alex

• hagar3
    11 years ago

Tropicalzone7, I am south of you about the 8a and 8b line, What kind of Bananas should I be able to grow here. I have some pups new this year of Dwarf Cavendish and Pineapple. I also have some larger bananas about 10 ft. tall now. A friend gave them to me. I protected them over the winter with a cage made from concrete reinforcing wire filled with pinestraw and covered with a tarp. I found put last year that they have to be kept dry or they will rot. The plants I have now are last year's pups from the old plants.

• Tuija
    11 years ago

Hi from Finland! This is my first banana, and only one. I think it�s basjoo, but I�m not sure. It�s grow in my livingroom, but if outdoor is farm enough I put it to my balkony.

• User
    11 years ago

Definitely not a basjoo, looks like a Dwarf Cavindish to me. The slight blush to the leaves gives it away. Wonderful banana by the way. They sucker near constantly and are wind resistant and cool tolerant. Good luck with it.

• Tuija
    11 years ago

Thanks njoasis. I think it is not a Dwarf Cavindish. I finally found the label today and look at they web site. It says it is Musa tropicana. I hope that my detective-days (2 weeks)are finally over.

Here is a link that might be useful: takeawaytrend.com

• Tuija
    11 years ago

njoasis. You was right after all. Myt mistake. It is Dwarf Cavendish. Tropicana is "commercial" name or someting.

• eddiemunoz
    10 years ago

I am growing

Orinoco
    Rajapuri
    dwarf Cavendish
    Dwarf brazillian
    goldfinger
    gran nain
    California gold
    ice cream
    veinte cohol
    sweet heart
    double mahoi
    manzano

• abzzybee
    10 years ago

A giant plantain, what kind I do not know, the leaves are 8 or more feet long, a buddha's hand, a gran nain and several unknowns. Love to grow and eat them!

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mysore 'pisang Ceylon'

according to several reviews I have read by expert banana growers, it is supposed to be among the best tasting

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert