Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
banana rotting??

Posted by marcoringo none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 9:49

I am a successful gardener. Sometimes things go wrong. I have always grown great bananas. This year none of them are growing. All seem to be rotting. I waited until late May, because we had cool and rain weather to plant. None are growing. All are rotting. Why?? Last year I had some do this. Now it's all. What's up with that? Please email me at dougdoesall@gmail.com as I cannot find the checklist on preference page that says 'allow members to email you'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: banana rotting??

I would also like to know the answer because one of mine is rotting too. It's very sad.

o

• Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 14:42

Are these winter storage plants dug up from the previous winter, seed,new nursery bought plants in pots, or over wintered in the ground with stalks or cut down ? Usually it is wet and cold that rots them if they do not stay dry before the growing season begins.

o

Ditto bamatufa. Before they get into good growth, the tubers are sensitive to rotting from too wet/too cool conditions. Warm/hot wet they love once they are in active growth. Live and learn. Here, I would put mine out in April or May on the south side of the house but move into the garage for heavy, prolonged rain events just to keep them drier--an overhang is useful in this regard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here