Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

A little experiment

trishmick
14 years ago

I recently cut a basjoo pup off a corm sitting in my developing compost heap. It's about 1 to 2 feet tall. Placed it in a clay pot with rocks on the bottom, %100 compost, and rocks on top. Then put it on the upper shelf of my small koi pond. Pot is completely submerged. Seems to be doing fine, despite some colder than normal Spring weather. Any ideas out there about the success of this...and will it be troublesome for the pond. No fish in there yet this year ( I suspect a possum got them last Sep. ).

Comments (8)

• sfhellwig
    14 years ago

Good luck and let us know the end result. General consensus is that bananas don't like wet feet. They like lots of water to grow but need good drainage. However the last time I saw that question asked here and someone else gave the same answer another person posted a picture of their banana growing in the edge of a pond. I think a bloodleaf maybe. I think eventually it will get sick but do not have personal experience. But that is why it is an experiment, right?

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I have a dwarf cavendish and accidentally put it in a pot with no holes in the botton. With all the rain we got, the entire pot was filled with water. The banana had no signs of damage, but I deciced all the standing water wouldnt be good for the plant, and when I lifted it up it smelled of rot really bad. I repotted it and am trying to keep it dry and its doing pretty good so far. I dont know if only cavendishes rot of water, but as mentioned above they like water, but need drainage. BAsjoos are more tollerant plants, so maybe it will surprise you and do really well.

Good luck.

• sunsetsammy
    14 years ago

Last summer two of the local nurseries had all their bananas growing as water plants. Pots completely submerged. I was a little confused but then I read the label from the supplier showing the planting instructions. Sure enough it showed them as water plants on the diagram however if you read the actual written instructions it said that the plants don't like their feet wet all the time.

I spoke with the staff and told them I didn't think bananas should be growing under water like that. She assured me that they would be fine. She did so in a rude manner too which didn't really sit well with me.

Well sure enough I went back about a month later and every single one of those banana plants looked terrible. So bad that I don't think they sold a single plant. I went back at the end of the summer and they were all dead looking. Man did I ever want to go say "I told you so."

I went back to both these places this year. One place learned their lesson the other (rude place) has not. :)

• topher2006
    14 years ago

They do not like wet feet and they will rot.

• glen3a
    14 years ago

Sunsetsammy, same thing here, the local nurseries have banana plants as water plants. More as marginal pond plants or bog plants. The type they had was dwarf cavendish.

They also had cannas, I forget the variety but it's a common one grown in the garden. From what I read with cannas (not sure it's true though) but if you throw a canna rhizome into a pot and sink it into your pond it will just rot. If you grow the plant to a certain height and then sink the pot into the pond it will be okay. However we are talking about the first few inches of the bottom of the pot in water, not the entire pot submerged. Maybe it depends on just how deep you sink the pot.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

Cannas have grown great in my pond for several years now. Bananas (DC and O) rot pretty quickly. I tried!

• dirtyhandjeff
    14 years ago

From time to time I hear that someone's sister's friend's brother's cousin's ex has a banana growing in a pond but I've never seen one fully successful this way. The soil becomes a mucky mess that blocks all oxygen to the roots and corm and rot comes sooner rather than later.

I have seen *limited* success when someone puts the corm in something freely draining, say pea gravel (not "soil") in a well ventillated pot (maybe an orchid pot) and locates that pot near a source of flowing water so that fresh water flows around the roots.

A problem with growing most plants in a pond, even those that can be grown in water, is that people like to put fish in too. The nutrient levels that most plants want is higher than what most fish like.

• trishmick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, here it was. I pulled it out in advance of any rot. Front leaf unfurled while in there, but I just removed it and will place it (still in the pot) up in the bed next to a hardy hibiscus. Have a few large pups doing just fine in {{gwi:410414}}my compost heap. Gonna let them grow there all Summer.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES