Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in banana plant leaves

Posted by tropicalstacy Mi (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 11:00

I have 2 banana plants that I just planted about a month ago and Have had new leaf growth, however it looks like something is eating the leaves. I had holes in the leaves and now they are starting to droop and look wilted. I noticed one morning a faint line across the leaf, then the next day that line turned into tiny holes.

I love these around my pool and just want them to look healthy! What can i spray on these to kill all bugs? I noticed some tiny white bugs at base!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in banana plant leaves

Please do not spray anything to treat anything until you know what you are dealing with. Knee jerk reactions almost never turn out well, especially when chemicals are involved.
A photo of the insects in question would be of extreme help.

Over watering causes droopy leaves.
Lack of water causes droopy leaves.
Droopy leaves causes a crease to form.
That crease can easily progress to a hole.

What are your watering practices?
What media are they planted in?
Are they potted or in the ground?
How is the drainage?
What are your average temperatures?
Has it been windy?
Have they been fed?

Pristine banana leaves are indeed gorgeous but they don't always stay pristine for long- between wind and general environmental assaults they get raggedy.
That's why they are a back yard plant and not a front yard plant :)

I'm betting your plants are fine and need their watering and/or drainage adjusted.

o
RE: Holes in banana plant leaves

I've attached a picture. They are watered every two (2) days. Drainage is good. They are planted in the ground, in black dirt, with rocks underneath and surrounded by small rocks. Avg. temps have been 80's. There have been a few windy days, but on average, we haven't had much wind. They are fertilized once a week.

In addition, I found several ants at the base of one (1) tree and have been told aphids eating the leaves draws the ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here