Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mekong Giant

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:37

You know they grow fast when the punch a hole through a leaf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mekong Giant

What a great picture!! Just goes to show what a hardy plant you have.
Christine

o

They definitely are hardy, but seem like they can get a little invasive when they pup, which probably helps with the winter hardiness. Mine survived -13 F this past winter with a thick layer of cypress mulch and I didn't lose one. In fact they all started to regrow from last year's main stems that were cut to about 8".

I love this new hardy banana.

o

I can see how they use the plant for its fiber. Not like a regular eating banana. It will be interesting to see how tall they get in Houston.

o

-14 killed all my Mekongs!

They didn't have much protection at all...gotta get some in ground pronto so they got a shot at being hardy!

Basjoo bit the dust too!

o

I have mine planted against the foundation in an area with good drainage so I'm sure that helps.

As a matter of fact, my basjoos and my dwarf orinocos also came back from the coldest winter in years.

o

The banana grows fast! Even before the leaf can decompose.

o

If I was you, I would move the banana away from that tree and before it gets bigger.

o

It looks like that tree is growing even faster then your Mekong Giant. It was not even there in the first picture !!! :)

o

The palm is just out of frame to the lower left in the first photo. I did dig the banana shortly after the second photo. Not easy to get out of the ground. About two week to recover from the shock of potting up into a 7 gal. I'll take it for the raffle this weekend. I'd say... think twice where you plant these Mekong Giant. It's getting a bit aggressive with the suckers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here