Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts On My Banana Plant

Posted by HoosierPagan 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:53

Hey everyone! My mom gave me her Banana plant at the beginning of the season. It wasn't in the best of shape. Since taking it over it has really started growing again. I don't know much about them so I thought I would post 2 or 3 pics of it and see what you all think of it. It's not in the ground. I have it in a big pot. I water it about every other day or when the soil looks dry. I was keeping it out of direct sunlight but when the leaves started getting these dark streaks in them I thought I would try it in direct sunlight. I have noticed since then that some of the leaves look like they are getting burnt. Is this common or is this a bad thing? Where I have it at, when it rains, there is no protection from the water. Could that be a problem also? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This post was edited by HoosierPagan on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts On My Banana Plant

Another pic

o

And one more pic of the whole plant

o

What you have is a Zebrina, the more sun it gets the deeper the purple. Your soil looks very dense, I would add perlite, it helps to lighten the soil and the roots breath better, I'm sure others will come along with more advice for you..

o

Thanks for the information. I had no clue as to what type it was. Gonna do some research on it right now

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here