Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jengc_gw

Just bought a banana plant

jengc
14 years ago

I have no idea what I just did LOL

I bought a banana plant from a guy that said he has had one for 7 years and he had produced fruit.

He sold me a 3 1/2 ft plant for $30. If that was too much, dont tell me :)

It it in a plastic pot, maybe 7 inches wide, and I thought I would just leave it there until next spring. It is on my deck which gets full sun 9 to 10 hours a day. Today and tomorrow should be nice coolish temps (highs of 85 today and 72 tomorrow) but it gets hot around August (around 95 to 100 high last year). I am basically wondering if I should put it in a different pot or will that stun it to where I wont get fruit this year (he said it was very possible to get fruit this year).

I have a pot that is about 24 inches or wider that I was going to put it in and put wheels on the bottom so I can just wheel it indoors during the winter. I am not sure if I should cut it down every year.

If I should cut it down, should I plant it now in the yard? TOO MANY QUESTIONS!! lol I am wondering if this was a bad idea.

Thanks for any help!

Jen---first year to have a garden let alone a fruit tree

Comments (4)

• lac1361
    14 years ago

You list your zone as 7. Where do you live? There is no banana that will grow, flower and make edible fruit in Zone 7 in the ground without considerable protection. Musa Basjoo will make it in your zone but the fruit is considered inedible. It is an attractive banana and one tough cookie. To grow and fruit an edible banana in your zone will require it to be grown in a container or protected.

Steve

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am in Nashville TN. The guy that sold it to me said that it made bananas but he didnt specify if he ate them or not. Here is a pic of my plant. http://www.flickr.com/photos/7777815@N05/3598177204/ If it isnt edible bananas, I am going to be mad. I assumed all bananas were edible.

If I were to put it in a container, how do I keep it from getting so tall? Can I simply cut the middle of the plant (top it) and it sprout from where I cut it?

Here is a link that might be useful: banana plant pic

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Well, technically, all bananas can be eaten. Some are just better tasting than others. Basjoo is considered an ornamental type banana. Bear in mind that I do not grow Basjoo but your picture certainly looks like it could be one. Ask the guy you bought it from what color the flower is when it blooms. If he says yellow, then it's Basjoo. If he says purple, then it might be an Orinoco which could possibly produce fruit (edible)in your zone if you have a mild winter and is planted in a very protected location.

Topping to reduce the height will work but you have to be careful. If you do this during the winter to make it fit into a certain space, then cut back on the watering to almost nothing. I have a friend that lives in Cleveland, TN who grows a lot of bananas, digs them up each year, and puts them under his house, in his garage, whereever. He seems to have a fair amount of success with this method.

Steve

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK I will do. I am sure he knows what kind it is but I keep forgetting to ask what kind. If I keep it in the basement, that is colder than the upper house. I just thought it would be better in a warmer climate. I will probably cut it in half (??) when I bring it in...so what October? When it gets below 60 degrees high. I dont know just throwing out suggestions.