Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauln_gw

No leaves

pauln
10 years ago

Hello Everyone. A friend gave me a division shoot from his main banana plant. It's about 5 feet tall, and has 1 green leaf from last year. I planted it about a month ago, and there has been no change since. It didn't really have any roots to speak of. The one green leaf has remained, so I'm still hopefull. Any ideas on when/if I'll get some new growth? Our weather has turned really hot in the last week, so maybe it will crank out something soon.

Comments (5)

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Varies. Without any real roots, the pup is totally dependent on the stored energy within the partial corm. I've heard stories of pups taking off from anywhere within a week to two months.

Just give it time and make sure you're watering the area around the corm fairly often.

• pauln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks foreverlad! I planted it poorly initially, and found a better spot after that. When replanting, I did notice a few large roots beginning from the corm. I guess I'm just impatient. I had one for the past 3 years, but it turned to mush in my unfinished basement last winter. Seeing a new leaf is one of the highlights of my summer. This may say more about me than my banana plant.

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Totally understandable Pauln, I'm the same way. I have a back tropical bed with 12-15 basjoo spread out over 30-40ft. Each one of them have between 2-6 pups. I was anxious to start pulling some away and spreading the love. I only removed a single one about a month ago. It was the largest at the time. Had 2 leaves and a new cigar leaf rising.

When I pulled it away from the mother plant, I got two tiny roots, otherwise it was all curved corm. Not a solid bulb-like storage device, just the extension away from the parent plant. I sighed, plopped it down into the bed under some light canopy shade, and left it alone.

After a month, the two old leaves had died and the cigar leaf was gone. pseudostem was turning black from the top down. I dug it up two days ago. Had to cut away 1/3 of the p-stem and pot up the plant as no real roots were growing from the corm.

It might still make it, we'll have to wait and see. I have learned that patience is a virtue, and it's better to leave a pup attached too long than risk pulling it away too soon.

Mike

• pauln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wandering around my backyard garden today, and low and behold, my first new leaf is unfurling as we speak! I guess it was waiting on sustained hot days, which we'll have for the next 4 months. Thanks for the encouragement Mike! Now, I get to enjoy a new leaf about every 10 days. These tropicals are new to me, so I am learning as I go.

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

That's great news! Good luck, and be sure to post some progress photos for us.

Mike

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz