Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on pups and overall growth

Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 12:17

I notice last year the largest or mother stem on my Basjoo stopped growing while the pups continued and eventually caught up and surpased the mother stem. It was though the growth was being concentrated on the pups. Is there a way to stop this so I can achieve optimum height out of one plant or stem ? Will cutting down the pups acheive this or is my observation incorrect? The plant has already produced a dozen or more pups which I have already transplanted a few. I am now afraid I have taken off too much of the corm and do not want to transplant anymore for fear of harming the plant. Will thinning-out the pups help the overall growth of the mother stem ? Cut them down or leave as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on pups and overall growth

Separate the pups from the mother plant. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Separating Pups

o

hey bamatufa,
Didn't we meet at the Trussville Home Depot several years ago? I believe I may have given you a basjoo then.

As for your question; I would harvest as many pups as you want off the mother corm, & then just let it go & feed & water the heck out of it. It will continue to "pup" though no matter how many you cut off. If you ever want to get rid of any pups let me know. I have a couple of friends who lost all of their bananas last year & are looking for basjoos to replace with. They've been scarce in the nurseries this spring.

o

• Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 15:28

Yes, it was me. You gave me two banana's . Dog ate one of them and the other I still have. I have two transplanted Basjoo's in pot's now about a week old waiting for whoever wants them . I also have 2-3 more Basjoo pups ready to be separatd for anyone who wants them. I have transplanted all the Basjoo's I want and waiting on my other varities to produce pups to fill in my other areas of the yard. Let me know .....

o

hey, I'll take any bananas you wanna get rid of.....that is unless your dog is still hungry. LOL

you need any EEs? Castor beans? Tetrapanex (rice paper plant)?

o

• Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 11:09

John - I sent you an e-mail but no reply. Maybe address is no longer. Let me know. I have several Basjoo's to give away.

o

Andrew, you have email.

thanks,
john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here