Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of bananas

Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 13:06

A couple of years ago I planted several types of bananas figuring I'd wait till they produced fruit and keep the ones with the best flavor and growth attributes.

Well I have made my decision and a few bunches need to go. But how? Do I merely hack off the tree parts and suckers as they emerge and the roots will die eventually? or do I have to dig out the korm?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of bananas

You'll need to dig it out or it will just keep sprouting

o

Yeah you need to dig it out and send it to me ;~). Seriously maybe I could pay your postage if you wouldn't mind taking it/them to the post office. What type of banana(s) are they??
Pat

o

I think many of us could use them so don't toss em out if you don't mind. I would gladly pay alittle extra for your trouble. Don't have much to trade with except elephant ears and tons of red canna.

o

put them on craigslist and get someone to dig them for you!

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 17:04

Sorry for the long delay answering these.

"Yeah you need to dig it out and send it to me ;~). Seriously maybe I could pay your postage if you wouldn't mind taking it/them to the post office. What type of banana(s) are they?? "

I have several named cultivars and those that are dwarf or small I'm keeping. The very large ones are "Brazilian RED" so I'm told (though nothing about them is red except for the male tip of the flower stalk) by some folks who imported them from Brazil a gazillion years ago. The Korm is rather large, in the neighborhood of 3+ feet square and I have no idea how deep so mailing would not be possible, though local pickup in Southeast Flori-duh is do-able.

"I think many of us could use them so don't toss em out if you don't mind. I would gladly pay a little extra for your trouble. Don't have much to trade with except elephant ears and tons of red canna."

I only grow edible things, I have 30+ species of fruit trees, and vines. Too bad you folks are so far away, I would set you up in a mini plantation. I bring pups to work all the time for co-workers, they love them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here