Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizers and Sun q's.

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 13:39

Right now I have my Rajapuri, Super dwarf cavendish and dwarf red in pots from over wintering them. I grew them outside last year but they were in the wrong spot and I want to do it right this year.

My first question is, what fertilizer numbers should I be using? I'm NOT growing these guys for foliage.

Also, I had them in part shade last year. Right now they're in full sun but it's not that hot yet, in the 80's. It can get to the 100's every day in the summer. How much shade should I plant them in? The only place I have part sun for them is by the woods and it's hard to get the hose out there.

Okay, I forgot one other question. My Rajapuri doesn't have it's grandmother stem yet but it's a couple of feet tall. Is that normal?

And my dwarf cavendish has three stems, when should I seperate the third or do I even have to unless it gets fairly large?

THANKS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizers and Sun q's.

It has been a week since you posted and no one has answered so I will give it a shot.
For fertilizer, any balanced one will do ie: 30-30-30.

Sun is fine for these guys.. they love it, you will just have to water more.
I know nothing about the rajapuri.. sorry.
Your DC can be seperated when the pup gets about 1/2 the size of the parent plant. Hope that helps.

o

Sorry for the late answer.
Bananas can be grown in full sun if there's plenty of water and the plants are fairly large. Pups like some shade. You can plant them in full sun and use a shadow-curtain, used for glasshouses, if it's too hot.
I grow the smaller plants in 30% shadow.
If you don't grow them for foliage, like I do as well, I should use a fertiliser with more K. Ex: 10-5-25.

What do you mean by: "it's grandmother stem" ?

Simon

o

I dunno, I read that term some one. I guess it would be more aptly named mother stem/plant, which I think it is.

How hot is too hot?

o

Too hot: the leaves fold together and bend over. Then the plant cannot take up enough water to keep the leaves up.
If you move them to more shadow (or give them more shadow), the leaves will come back in their normal position.
Simon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here