Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vatajoe

Is this a Banana? (Pic inside)

vatajoe
17 years ago

Hi All,

I just received this plant from a friend who says that he thinks it is a Banana plant. However I am not so sure so I wanted to ask you on this forum for confirmation if possible.

Many thanks, Joe

{{gwi:411122}}

Comments (12)

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Looks like it.

• stevethelizard
    17 years ago

i am no expert but it looks more like a canna to me it could even be canna musifolia which is known as the banana leaved canna, its still a lovely plant i am sure someone else can give you more info
    good luck
    steve

• treemedic
    17 years ago

Almost positive it's a canna musifolia (Banana Canna) Not a Banana though

• kevin_gardener
    17 years ago

I'm thinkin it's a canna also.

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

looks like a canna

• shiollie
    17 years ago

After reading this yesterday, I went and looked at my cannas and yep it looks like them, then I went and looked at some young banana plants and yep it looks like them also. The only difference that I saw was the red coloration at the base of the cannas were the same, there was some red at the base of the young bananas just not as intense.

• vatajoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Shiollie and the rest of you,

Yes it definitively looks like a baby Canna Musifolia, and I have one of these too. The thing is that the leaves donÂt look the same but the rest does. Maybe (and most probably) its a slight different specie of Canna. Damn, I wanted it to be a exotic unknown banana plantÂ.lolÂ.

Joe

• socalboo
    17 years ago

canna

• islandtim
    17 years ago

canna

• weatherguy
    17 years ago

canna

• michelle_4466
    17 years ago

I grew up inIndia where Bananas are common.This one looks more like a canna.
    michelle

• zone10aridgardener
    13 years ago

im positive its a canna.