Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

What's munching up my Abysinnian? (pictures attached)

bananafan
16 years ago

My Abysinnian has been doing really great until now. It's about 8ft tall now. When I got it end of last year, it was only 3 ft tall, but of late its new leaves have been munched on badly. I don't know which insect(s) is responsible for that. Could it be grasshoppers that are bugging it? What should I do to prevent this from happening? The bug seems to be interested in the new leaves at the moment. See how the new unrolled leaf is badly affected. I can use all the advice there is to help save this beautiful plant from being ruined. Thanks.

{{gwi:411125}}

{{gwi:411126}}

Comments (3)

• bananimal
    16 years ago

bananafan ----------My little Red Iholene is being attacked on the newest leaves also. I discovered that good old malathion was too harsh on young tissue culture plants. I just started using an insecticide/fungicide called Organocide. It's made locally in Stuart , Fl. I found it in Home Depot. Be sure to spray both sides of the leaves as well as the trunk. Spraying the mango also. Good luck to us both.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bananimal for the recommendation. I'll go get some from HD and wipe those creepy crawlies out of my beautiful plant. Meanwhile, I'm using the Garden Safe insect spray which is meant to kill all stages of insects including eggs. It's good you mentioned mango because recently I got a Carrie mango. It's now in the ground and it's around 4.5 ft tall. Every time it sends our blooms, they look sickly. It does send out some new shoots though. The only problem is it just can't hold up to those blooms for long. The largest fruit formed was the size of a nickel. I don't know if this is one of their habits when young. Best to all your garden babies.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

Could it be Japanese beetles? They didn't seem to do any real damage to any of my bananas last year but I picked alot of them off. I had one new unfurled leaf that was slightly damaged but I can't say for sure it was JB's.