Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Banana ID

blackwillow87
11 years ago

Today I bought a banana plant from Home Depot. The tag just had "banana plant" on it. I was wondering if someone could ID it? It has a waxy stalk and the undersides of the leaves are waxy, almost silver. The top part of the leaves is a dark green color. Thanks

{{gwi:411147}}

{{gwi:411149}}

{{gwi:411151}}

{{gwi:411153}}

{{gwi:411156}}

Comments (9)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Looks like it could be a Blue Java Ice Cream. They're nice bananas, grow fast too.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Islandbreeze! I'm glad its Blue Java. Unfortunately it isn't doing too well. A lot of the leaves are sunburned. I'm hoping it will recover but the temps are going to be in the upper 90s to 100s next week.

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

looks even kinda like a Musa...but the leaves are kinda dark to be that type.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Richard do you think its another variety other than Blue Java?

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

i thought it may be a Musa Basjoo, but i may be wrong.... it does kinda look like a Blue Java :)

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone else said it may be basjoo too, but I had one last year and it looked different from my current banana plant. The basjoo died last year during the drought. I think basjoo don't do too well here, but I could be wrong. I kind of hope it isn't a basjoo lol.

• User
    11 years ago

My local Home D is selling bananas too--unlabeled of course, other than saying--banana. I too was hoping they would be something other than basjoos because I have basjoos and I don't find them the best of growers for whatever reason. But these new HD bananas seem to grow more robustly than the basjoos. I just moved all the bananas to a location where they would only get half day sun as this heat was beginning to bake them.
    Seem much happier now.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess basjoos are for more temperate climates? I got my basjoo on clearance for $7 and planted it outside last year. Unfortunately it was during the worst time because of the heat and drought. I think it only got 2 hours of direct sun in the afternoon, and it still burned to a crisp. That's one banana plant I'll stay away from. Ive read Sikkimensis is more tolerant of heat than basjoo. Its nearly as cold hardy, but on other sites I read its for more cooler climates so I'm not sure. Someone else had identified my banana plant as either Blue Java or White Iholene.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have an updated picture of my banana plant.I'm hoping the updated pictures will help solve the ID of this banana? The newest leaf is very pale and the back looks white/silver. The petiole is red/pink. I've had it for 23 days and its produced 3 leaves since I've had it. I see the 4th one on its way. I'm watering it with aquarium waste water.

Newest leaf this morning
    {{gwi:411157}}

Pstem
    {{gwi:283114}}

Whole Plant
    {{gwi:283115}}

Sponsored