Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turquoise_gw

First year basjoo, what to expect??

turquoise
17 years ago

Hi, I bought several musa basjoo in late winter and kept them indoors until May or so. They were about 6" tall when they went into the ground. At first there was some leaf damage (maybe I didn't bring them into the sun gradually enough?), but now they seem to be pretty happy. The newer leaves are in good shape, and very green.

But they haven't grown a whole lot. They might be 1-1 1/2' at this point. The leaves seem to be getting bigger, but the plants themselves are not very large. Is that normal? Am I expecting too much? Our temps have been pretty warm, 70s, 80s, 90s. We'll have some stretches with warm temps at night, 60s or so, but then 50s sometimes too.

I water fairly deeply once a day, although I just mulched them yesterday. When I planted them I used composted soil, with a little perlite and peat moss. I've also fertilized them twice now (once with Miracle Grow 10-10-10 slow release and then again yesterday with a higher nitrogen mix, I think it was 28-?-?). They're in full sun, probably six hours a day or more.

Do I just need to be patient and trust that they'll take off? I always hear about their incredible growth, but mine just seem to be sitting there.

Comments (7)