Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo in Z6

Posted by mikeinmo Z5 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 15:22

Now that it is finally hot in Missouri, my potted Basjoo is finally putting out some leaves. I still have not attempted to put them in the ground yet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo in Z6

i dont know if the basjoo can actually survive in the ground during the winter, but i heard that it can survive in the ground down to 3degrees below zero and up to 20 degrees below zero with protective mulching....good luck

o

Great photos. I wonder how big a plant that size will get this year?

o

This makes 3 winters for mine, in the ground in zone 5. Just to be safe I keep one huge pot going but so far so good! Each fall I cut it back, cover well with leaves and mulch, invert a large pot over it and put a rock on the pot. In spring I remove the pot, once I see the growth starting I remove the mulch.

o

mikeinmo, what do you do with it in winter, keep it in the pot and let it go dormant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here