Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help please?

Posted by flora2 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 16:15

Hi
I am trying (very hard) to get a banana that is red on the underside of the leaves. No patches of red, but all red. It is pretty upright --the leaves, I mean (rather than "floppy")but I need to know the name. Do you guys know what the name could be? I have gone to many, many nurseries in my area and have not seen anything like this. Of course Seattle could not be called "the capital of tropical plants" either. Can anyone help me with the name so it makes my search a little easier? Thanks a lot.
No, I did not dream this banana :) There is actually somone in my area that has it but she has no idea of name or where it came from :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help please?

sounds like ensete maurelii, type that in on yahoo, the second listing brent & becky's bulbs has a nice photo.

o

Sumatrana X

o

Hi
Thank you Pitangadiego but no, the banana I was referring to does not have any coloration on the top of the leaf. The appearance a little bit more like the one mentioned by islandtim in the first response. Your picture is beautiful though :)

o

"the banana I was referring to does not have any coloration on the top of the leaf."

Lots of different kinds of banana plants have red coloring only on the undersides of the leaves. Three that come to mind are Kru, African Rhino Horn, and Sikkimensis.

o

I forgot to mention Red Iholena.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here