Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody near Belton TX?

Posted by bob3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 16:51

My niece lives in Belton TX & I was wondering what kind of banana plants I should send her.
I'm guessing the Dwarf Orinoco & probably Cavendish should be OK, How about the Ice Cream?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody near Belton TX?

Those would all be ok. All will die back in the "winter".

I have an Ice Cream in a 7-gal container that go about 7 feet tall last summer, died back in the winter. The center didn't come back, but I've got 4 new stems around the edge of the container and growing fast.

My several Ensete ventricosum/Abyssinian red all did better/less die back, had more stem survive and will get much bigger this summer. Two neighbors also have good success with Abysssinian reds coming back every summer.

o
RE: Anybody near Belton TX?

Yeah - any nanner should do fine here - the growing stems will die back and new stems will sprout from the rhizome in the Spring. If you want nanners from them, you'll want to wrap the stem and protect it from frost over the winter - perhaps provide a pipe-warmer under the wrapping for added insurance. The leaves will die but so long as you can keep the stem alive, it will grow new leaves in the spring and continue it's path to producing nanners. You can also increase likelyhood of survival by exploiting the micro-climates a yard can provide - depending on the layout of the house and any protected areas. Else, any nanner planted will have only an ornamental value every year as it comes back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here