Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rimb05

Banana leaves splitting

rimb05
16 years ago

Hi,

I've got a Blue Java banana tree growing in a hydroponics system. It's been doing great, and is about 12 feet high. Lately, the new leaves are splitting as they unroll. After an entire leaf unrolls, it looks as if it was split apart by wind, tattered. I'm wondering if this may be due to a nutrient deficiency, or some other cause.

The nutrients I use are General Hydro flora, and my concentration is 1200ppm

I appreciate any insight.

{{gwi:411544}}

{{gwi:411546}}

Comments (11)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    16 years ago

Not that I can help with the ?, but how many leaves have opened like that?

• diana55
    16 years ago

I know nothing of growing with Hydroponics, but I sure know now, why I like to grow things naturely. I've never seen anything like it, in all the years I have been growing Banana's. I hope someone can answer this question for you!!! Diana55

• rimb05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in Chicago, so I'm afraid I have no choice but to grow indoors... The banana has 14 leaves total right now, and only the top 3 or 4 leaves have this problem. Other than that, the leaves look healthy, good color, no holes or patches.

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

My GUESS would be nutrient deficiency/imbalance.

• rimb05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's was my first guess too, but does anyone have an idea of what kind of nutrient deficiency would cause splitting like that?

Thanks again.

• funsocaltiger
    16 years ago

Well, lets start from the beginning... what nutrients are in "General Hydro flora"? I assume you have the basic NPK, but what %? And what about magnesium, iron and all the micronutrients?

Also, I do wonder if light is a basic problem considering you grew it indoors.

Are your leaves thin and fragile in general?

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Don't know what nutrient is wrong at this time, but Hydroponic growing needs careful, vigilent attention.

I think Joe Real has grown bananas hydroponically. Check with him.

• rimb05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, here's what's in the nutrient I'm using:

Available Phosphate (P205) 6.0 %
    Soluble Potash (K20) 11.0 %
    Magnesium (Mg) 2 %
    1.5% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
    Combined Sulfur (S) 1.0 %
    Total Nitrogen (N) 7.0 %
    0.55% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    6.45% Nitrate Nitrogen
    Calcium (Ca) 5.0 %
    Cobalt (Co) 0.0005 %
    Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.1 %
    0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe)
    Manganese (Mn) 0.05 %
    0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
    Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0008 %

As far as light, something occured to me. The lamp I'm using (2 1000w HID lamps) hangs from the ceiling a couple of feet from the tree. The leaves that are having this problem also happen to be the ones which have grown higher than my lamp. Could this be the cause? Does low light make the leaves weaker? They look healthy otherwise...

All the leaves, even the ones higher than the lamp do get some light from the windows, but maybe not enough?

• minibim
    16 years ago

I know it's not what you're asking but, why not try a dwarf variety that maybe gets 6'-8' tall instead of the blue java?

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I had that happen to my ensete maurelli after I potted it up and moved it to a new location.I was told it was called "choking", where the new leaf has to force itself out. It happens when the plant is stressed from change of environment or nutrients. Mine is now fine.

• rimb05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses. I'm going to experiment with watering frequency, to see if that helps. It certainly resembles choking symptoms.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?