Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bod10

Recovering Banana Plant

bod10
13 years ago

Hello

I had a lovely Banana plant that was about 3 years old and planted outside in my garden for the first time last summer (summer 2009). It was really doing well and seemed very heathly, growing to about 4/5 foot tall.

However, we had a really harsh winter here in the UK, I did cut it back to about 1 foot and covered it carefully to protect it.

When I removed the covering this Spring time, the plant was black and gone soft, it was a sorry sight! I cut off the soft black parts of the stems as best I could and left it get some sun.

To my delight, out of each of two of the cut stem bases have shot a small green and black shoot which are slowly growing. The majority of the plant remains dead and black and is attracting flies.

My question is, should I try to cut away the large dead/black mouldy remains of the plant, from the live part, or leave it alone? I am concerned that the mould may somehow infect the small living part of the plant and kill it.

I could try to separate the live part and put it in a pot in a more sunny part of the garden to help it recover quicker.

You advice would be appreciated

thanks

D

Comments (2)