Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anything that i give to them for faster growth?

Posted by beto_borjas southtxzone9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 17:38

they are doing preety good the tallest one just got another leaf today and the other one is about to but i want to know if there is anything i can give to them to speed up their growth a bit? Thank you, Robert.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anything that i give to them for faster growth?

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 21:57

I've only been growing them for ~7 years so I'm no expert but here's what I found they like:

Water, food, and sun. They don't complain about lots of mulch either :-)

Take any one away and they slow growth. I also fed mine ash from my chiminea in addition to fruit food and they grew so fast they got out of hand.

Unfortunately, four of the "designer" cultivars I bought were unsatisfactory and I just spent the better part of a week removing them to make room for other things.

o

• Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville, AL (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 13:19

After fertilizer and water, heavy,loomy mulch is my third ingredient to growing large bananas. Pile on the shreaded pine mulch around the base. Only an observation but I believe it gives the banana corm and roots room to reach out and grow verses a little hole in natural hard soil. Pine mulch is cheap and breaks down very nicely. Mine thrive in it.

o

i agree with all comments.. i add alot of compost start of every growing season here..dig in deep,mixing native soil in with it..
i tend to be stingy with fertilizer..but when i give them good
feedings regularly.. they get big ..and im in utah..
2 yrs ago..my ensetes,sabas got over 14ft tall..
this yr..im hoping to get big plants again..
for me..sun,good watering,and heavy on the fertilizer..
mulch i dont do..but the soil is heavy in compost..but i agree with bamatufa..
good luck..and keep us posted...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here