Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertgardener71

dwarf cavendish - full sun?

desertgardener71
14 years ago

I live just outside of the Phoenix metro area... many people around here grow banana in their back yards, in the ground, and I have some good desert adapted "Rajapuri" varieties that are doing superb in the ground right now. Recently I was given a young dwarf cavendish - not the super dwarf variety... i have heard from several people that these will burn up very quickly if exposed to full sun... any advice? My Rajapuri variety (3 feet tall now) are exposed to full sun almost all day, and I have a south facing backyard. Temps now are regularly pushing 102 and last few days it's been up near 107. My drip system goes on twice a day (morning/evening) for an hour, 3 times a week now. I'm thinking that should be ok, and I'm noticing a new leaf each week from the existing banana trees. Will dwarf cavendish do OK in partial shade/partial sun? Regardless, it will get blasted with a bit of overhead noon sun and full afternoon sun.... just don't want it to fry though. Also - is it ok to just use some regular Miracle Grow plant food/fertilizer?