Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best banana trees for zone 7?

Posted by Hunter_M Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 17:53

Im in 5b now but I might be in zone 7 Virginia next year. Im going to try to grow palms and bananas If I go to VA. What are the best bananas to grow in zone 7? I was thinking Musa Velutina and mabye musa bajoo. Any others? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best banana trees for zone 7?

I am not sure of exact hardiness yet, but musa sikkimenses bengal tiger which is a great varigated banana is rated for zone 7b. So I plan on giving mine winter protection. Here is an early spring pic of mine. I will post more on the palm forum later in july.

Photobucket

Chad,

o

I like Musa sikkimensis (cold hardy with nice maroon coloration). Of course, you need to grow Musa basjoo if you end up in zone 7. I would also suggest the CHINESE banana (Lasiocarpus) for cold hardiness--and beautiful yellow flowers.

o

Good suggestion I forgot to mention that one which is right behind the bengal tiger. Here is a better pic of mine, unfortunatly it's not in bloom.

Photobucket

o

I have had good success with Musa Basjoo in zone 6 when planted up against the foundation of the house, pretty much seem to be bulletproof, although I do mulch and tarp mine just for added insurance. This year I am also trying a banana sold to me as Musa Mekong Giant. Supposed to be cold hardy, according to the seller, but I also read that this banana is actually Musa Yunnanensis, not sure if it really is though. You also might want to look into Itinerans.

o

Thanks, guys I would have thanked you earlier, but I dont come on the banana forum much. Thanks again!
-Hunter

o

I bought a Rajapuri last weekend. Label says it's hardy to Zone 7!--They will fruit. Also bought a Bordelon--though not hardy to Zone 7 (and non-fruiting), it's very tropical looking and hardy to Zone 8 (not bad for a banana).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here