Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sane_psycho

Will any type of banana produce edible fruit in 8A (Texas)

sane_psycho
15 years ago

I really want to grow one, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it if they it wouldn't produce. Unless i get that "rojo" one, cuz its kinda cool looking.

Comments (12)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

My expereience with bananas is they are like peaches and apples in that each variety has a different length of time to maturity. I've grown some in pots and put them in the greenhouse. Some take a little over a year of growth to bloom, some take almost two years. Unless you are going to offer winter protection, you will have difficulty growing fruit.

• nyssaman
    15 years ago

I imagine a dwarf cavendish would - i heard that is edible

• tophersmith
    15 years ago

California Gold is the best tasting cold hardy fruiting banana out there.

• tey157
    15 years ago

There are some varities that will do well in zone 8a. They are 1000 Fingers, Dwarf Orinico, and Orinico.

• asacomm
    15 years ago

Hi Tey157
    Could you tell us how they(Thousand Fingers,Dwf.Orinoco and
    Tall Orinoco) could overwinter in zone8a? Outdoors in the
    ground with perfect cold protections? Or indoors in the
    green house? etc.etc.?
    Thanks in advance.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

CalGold is only a good variety for 8a if you like plaintains. My most reliable producer for dessert bananas is Ice Cream, although it's hit-or-miss depending upon the severity of the winter and timing of frosts and/or rains. To get any banana fruit in 8a, it has to bloom not much later than July 1st. Many varieties have a tendency to bloom late-summer/fall, hold fruit over the winter, ripening in early spring. This, of course, doesn't work in 8a.

-Bruce C.

• tropicallvr
    15 years ago

The hardiest edible is said to be CA gold, which isn't a plantain, but a dessert banana(better tasting than Dwarf orinico). The second hardiest is Dwarf Brazilian, followed by orinico and others. If you want a quick fruiting type Musa viente cohol is supposed to fruit within the shortest period of time, but it's not likely cold hardy coming from the Philipines.
    Hope this helps.

• tey157
    15 years ago

asacomm, this is not from my experience, but from what others have written.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

I've had CalGold for several years, purchased directly from Jeff Earl. I didn't say it WAS a plaintain, only that if you liked plaintains, you would also like CalGold. I'm fairly well-versed on bananas, and I definitely wouldn't classify CalGold as a dessert-type. When completely ripe it is still very firm, and lacks the sweetness of dessert bananas. It is also very large in size, like plaintains.

I've heard that it is a sport of Orinoco, but I can't corroborate this.

-Bruce

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

How well does Rajapuri do in Texas (houston area). Specifically in a 20 gallon container.

• lac1361
    15 years ago

ericjwi,

Raja Puri should do well for you in Houston in the ground. Choose a spot with lots of sun and protected from frost; like up against your house with a southern exposure.

Steve

• User
    15 years ago

I was looking for an answer about where to locate my new musa rajapuri purchased today at the Festival of Flowers in Mobile, one of the Festival plant selections they recommend for our zone 8b. The man did not know if it made edible bananas, so I was searching to find out on this forum. I'm figuring that it will make some edible fruits?

lac1361 z9a LA (My Page) on Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 8:25

ericjwi,
    Raja Puri should do well for you in Houston in the ground. Choose a spot with lots of sun and protected from frost; like up against your house with a southern exposure.

Steve
    Based on this information, I'm putting my new guy just outside the kitchen window on the south side of my house.
    Next to the heat pump condensate drain, should keep it moist.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022