Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Bananas at stores

Posted by okiegarden 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 18:34

Anyone know what the small great tasting nanas for sale in ethinic stores? Better yet where can I get one and will they grow in pots like my other musas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Bananas at stores

Unfortunately, there is no accurate answer to your question, as they could be any one of a number of different varieties. You've been fortunate in obtaining good-tasting ones, as it has been my experience that these small bananas purhcased in grocery stores and small markets taste horrible. The reason is that they are picked "green" like commercial varieties to get them to the retail location, but small bananas must ripen completely on the plant to achieve maximum flavor.

For example, Ice Cream bananas (which are medium-small), taste best when harvested as they are starting to turn black.

Any banana will grow in a pot, if its other needs are being met. I have only read of rare occasions, though, with one or two varieties, that can be brought to fruit. You need a large pot, sunny location, and plenty of water and fertilizer.

I would recommend Going Bananas for purchasing high-quality plants.

-Bruce C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Going Bananas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here