Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help selecting...

Posted by socalboo 10 a/b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 18:38

Okay, please give me your list of favorites:

1. I have slope in my back yard behind huge retaining wall (the kind that a bobcat can hit at full speed and not damage...it happened...long story) that is pretty long (115 feet) and tall (about 20 linear feet, with about 8 feet of elevation change). I have a ensente and misi liku (sp?) and unidentified species up there, all thriving. Full sun. San Diego. Haven't seen a frost at my place in recent memory. Closest has been about 37-38. slope is behind a pool, so you get a little microclimate from that that helps keep warm at night

2. flat lands, behind big granite boulders, full sun to mid afternoon

3. flat lands, next to fence, gets full sun from mid morning through mid afternoon, more as they grow taller (area is between two houses, about 25 feet apart).

So, what are your recommendations. Looking for variety to let go wild up on the slope. Anything that would fruit here in San Diego (zone 10 a/b) a plus. I have a couple local suppliers (including pitangdiego).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help selecting...

Socal,

That is a large question. Sounds like most of the spaces would be OK for bananas. If you want foilage, and a large clump, I would go with 1000 Fingers. If you want fruit, then ther are dozens of possibilities. If you want to see how they all look, come on by.

At 37-38 I would go easy on the red varieties. I am usually 40-42 at the coldest, and most of them struggle quite a bit.

o
RE: Need help selecting...

Both of you are lucky, I saw 31-32 repeatedly last winter out in Poway. All of my bananas lost all there leaves at some point over the winter, the only one not to lose some stem was the ice cream. What I think was a mysore got taken down nearly to the ground.

add to that the 102+ degress temps from last week and it seems that our little corner of Poway gets both ends of the extremes. The heat seemed to bother the recovering mysore, but all the better established plants (ice crea, goldfinger and an apple) shrugged it right off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here