Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitangadiego

Attention Pop-Up advertisers

pitangadiego
17 years ago

For the record, I enjoy this forum. I learn thing here, and I believe that I have something to contribute

However, at no time, nor under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoewver, will I endorse or recommend the products of, purchase from, or visit the site of a sponsor or advertiser using this method, or in any way encourage the use of pop-up advertising in this forum. If you are advertising in this way, you will not see my $ ever, and hopefully no $ from any other user.

I understand the economics of running a forum and the need to pay for them (I pay for my own websites, and they are ad-free), but this form of advertising is egregious and will not be supported by my $.

Comments (23)

• paty99
    17 years ago

I take it you really hate all the pop-ups there are on this site.
    Well, for the record, so do I. Especially when they interfere with being able to see the page I am looking at.
    Pat

• cedardave
    17 years ago

I agree... I come to this site to read about my gardening interests and the tales of fellow gardeners. The adds are beginning to interfere with that enjoyment.

• jrork
    17 years ago

Ditto. Anything that pops up and makes me click to make it go away is kept in my memory as a product/service that I have no need or interest in having.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

Just for the record: I never see pop ups here. Don't know if it's because I have a good pop-up blocker (many are available for download for free) or if it's because years ago I paid my $15 membership to GardenWeb. I hate pop ups too and rarely visit sites that are plagued by them.

• frankallen
    17 years ago

I agree with Pitangadiego 100%. This is a BS way of advertising!! I will not buy anything from people who use popups either !!!!!

Frank

• pitangadiego
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Attention i-village. The same applies for your survey.

• laterita
    17 years ago

These adverts are only ment for USA/Canada. I won't spend any euro's on it either. Most of the firms advertising don't ship to Holland.
    Simon

• GAAlan
    17 years ago

I have been visiting GW since 1997 and it is still my favorite site on the web. I don't log on without stopping by at least once. The pop-ups are simply horrible now and it has become a real chore just to browse the forums. I will never even consider spending one penny with any companies using them, nor will I EVER take the IVillage survey!

• john90808
    17 years ago

I used to despise the GW pop-up ads as well. I switched to Mozilla's Firefox as my browser and use a plug-in called "No Script." Problem solved!

• banana_fun
    17 years ago

The worst add is the lake house movie!!! WHERE DO YOU CLOSE IT??? AHHHHH!!!!! I like the ivillage survey pop-up because the NO THANKS is a moving target for me to click. The jello themesong is making me go crazy. I use to like jello, but not anymore.

• solstice98
    17 years ago

I use the Firefox browser too. And no pop-ups. Don't know what you are all talking about concerning the iVillage survey? I've never seen it.

• unautre
    17 years ago

Firefox stops the pop-ups, but not the heavily animated ads, almost mini-movies, EMBEDDED ON THE BASE PAGE!!!, that consume so much of my CPU (1.6 GHz) I am forced to close the Firefox tab for gardenweb so my PC runs acceptably.

I've noticed that several forums that I visit have much less message volume in the past few months vs. a year+ ago.

Gardenweb's new owners are driving away vsitors and killing the forums trying to make money off the ads.

• john90808
    17 years ago

unautre: Try using the "NoScript" extension for your Firefox browser. It's easy to install and prevents the Java scripted animation (unless you tell it not to).

• hydro_grower
    17 years ago

"NoScript" extension for your Firefox browser, works well

ty

yupper never really understood what the hell chick chat and nissan had to do with gardening?

what happened to spike?

my 2cents,

hg

• paty99
    17 years ago

I have a popup blocker, I never see any popups on any other sites I go to, however here at gardenweb a lot of them get through. The popup companies are not the only ones to blame though. I think unautre is right, "Gardenweb's new owners are driving away visitors and killing the forums trying to make money off the ads." I know I don't come to the site as often as I used to. I just hate having to navigate around all the popups! This place has become more like a video game than a gardening website! And it is not a good video game. I sure hope the administration reads this. People don't want to have to deal with the volume and type of popups they now have on this site, and it is still getting worse. Last week I could not even get the jello ad off the page, every time I closed it, it popped back up. I had to close the page. The lakehouse movie is even worse and I'm tired of seeing a little blue pill wander across my page. What does any of this have to do with gardening anyway? Well, enough said, now I just have one question. New owners? What did happen to spike? Can anyone fill me in?
    Thanks, Pat

• milwdave
    17 years ago

WOW! Firefox is awesome!

Dave

• bobcat
    17 years ago

I use a mac and the included browser (safari) comes with a pop up blocker standard. It appears I should be grateful for it since gardenweb seems to be quite the experience for some! No pop-ups, no virus and no internet junk that magically appears on my hard drive. I love my mac.

• hibiscus909
    17 years ago

Agreed.
    I really do not mind banner ads. The popups/scroll overs, however, make it unpleasant to use the website. I will have to try the NoScript thingy.

s.

• eloise_ca
    17 years ago

I pay the $15 GW membership each year, and use Firefox, but still get pop-ups. I will look for the NoScript, but if I can't find it in Firefox (not computer savvy), can those of you that know about it please post instructions on how to download it? Thanks.

• john90808
    17 years ago

eloise: to get the NoScript extension, select (at the top of your Firefox browser) "Tools" then "Extensions." A small window will appear. In the lower right side of that window, select "Get More Extensions" That should take you to the Firefox Add-ons site. NoScript is listed under the "Top Extensions" category (number two as of this writing). Once you select NoScript from that list, that should take you to the download site where you will see an "Install Now" selection. Click that and follow the directions.

I have also included the URL to get to the Firefox Add-ons site.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox Add-ons

• eloise_ca
    17 years ago

Thanks John, I was able to very easily download NoScript, and so far so good!

• daisymay
    17 years ago

first time i've ever had a pop-up since I ate them as a kid... ;oP NO KIDDING, I just had one in here, and it's for the squirrels!

• blondboy47
    17 years ago

No popups here either. I use "AdShield" and it works very nicely. There's a free version, but only allows a limited number of block/exclude items. The retail version is opened wide.

You can actually ADD sites or even better, just portions of site names to the Block list and it blocks anything coming from those areas.

Like, for example, .adcenter, adcycle, .7search., etc.

If there is a specific site that gets blocked because it just happens to have some of the text that's in your block list, you can add the entire site to the Exclude list. This allows the site through. But then, even in that, if the excluded site has other popups or even embedded ads, you can add those to the block list.

Works very nicely.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals