Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananaman1

New thought on 'mystery basjoo'

bananaman1
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

Some of you had comments for me last week on my plant that I mistakenly have thought was M. basjoo (remember, I brought it with me from St. Louis,[now I'm in Houston], where it had successfully overwintered, yadda yadda, only to discover when it flowered and fruited here that it wasn't a basjoo after all). I had a new thought last night while making some tostones from a store bought plantain (the cashier at the store called it a plantation!). I remember when I cut the hand of fruit from my mystery banana that it took it a VERY long time to go ahead and ripen. A very few finally did turn yellow and I sampled them. I remember they were somewhat sweet but dry. I never considered at the time that maybe my banana plant was really some kind of plantain. Of course, all this time I'm thinking I have a basjoo and all those people who say it doesn't produce edible fruit didn't know what they were talking about! So, now my question is, are there any cold hardy plantains out there? I know I've never heard of any, but hey, I've obviously been wrong before! Remember, this plant came through our St. Louis winters! Of course, I have no problem with it here in Houston, where it scoffs at our version of winter. I know this is long, but I'd really like to solve this. I'd say that the plant in question is around 8' or so right now but it gets larger. I'll be sure to post pics when it fruits. I'd do it now, but it is just your average run-of-the-mill looking banana (or plantain). Green leaves with sort of a light pinkish midrib, no reddish hue to the undersides of the leaves, no red blotches on the young foliage. Just plain. Thoughts...other than I type WAY too much?!!

Comments (9)

• rubbleshop
    16 years ago

In Devon in the UK I can get Musa paradisiaca L through the winter outside 2 years out of every the ish, but frost wise we are zone 9, though we have nowhere near as much sun as US zone 9.

• fglavin
    16 years ago

You really need to post a picture of the plant, flower, and fruits to get an accurate ID. Go ahead and post a picture of the overall plant. It could help.

• bananaman1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, fglavin...you're bigdog on bananas.org, right? I'm bananaman88 on that one. You and I have exchanged e-mails recently.

I'd like to post a picture, but I've never done it before. Is there somewhere on this site that explains how or could someone tell me how? I know I have a few pics of this plant overall and at least one good one of it with fruit that I'd like to post. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• funsocaltiger
    16 years ago

Bananaman,

Assuming you know how to upload the pictures to your own computer, you could either upload the pictures to Photobucket and post the links or images here or you could also upload the pics to your bananas.org gallery.

Laurence

• bananaman1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I know how to download pictures to my computer...that's where they are now. My problem lies in knowing how to then transfer them over to this site. I'll get the wifey to help. She's a bit more tech savvy than I am. I'll try to get them posted sometime over the weekend.

• bananaman1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is link to the photos of my mystery banana. They can be viewed at bananas.org. Can anyone help identify? Thank You!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Mystery Basjoo?

• bananaman1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I posted three photos of my mystery banana that I once thougth to be M. basjoo. So far, no one has suggested any possibilities for the identity of this banana. I'd really like some suggestions as I know there are some really knowledgable nanner growers out there! Please look under the post "New thougt on mystery basjoo". The link is posted there. There are two photos of this year's growth and one of the previous year's fruit.

Thanks,

• gardenguy_
    16 years ago

Definitely not Basjoo. I'm pretty sure it's an Ice Cream banana. I have 2 of those here myself. The stems on the leaves are what gives it away. They are slender, long and "closed lipped". Basjoo stems are more broad, fat and "open lipped". The main trunk is of a reddish/pinkish tint, just like my ice cream bananas here. Another tell tale sign is the whitish tint on the main trunk and stems of your bananas in the photo. I could be wrong, but your bananas look exactly like my ice cream (blue java) variety.

• bananaman1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gardenguy,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure it's Ice Cream, though I do see what you mean about the closed lipped stems and the whitish "bloom" on the stems, but several banana have that don't they? Most photos of Ice Cream I've seen the fruit has the distictive whitish bloom on them as well, and mine definitely didn't.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert