Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dproc22

Questions about banana plants

dproc22
11 years ago

I bought a banana plan about a month ago it is about three feet tall and has put out two new leaves since I bought it and is about to put out a third. Is this normal speed of growth? What type of fertilizer should it get and how often? My last question is when will it put out pups ? I was surprised they were even selling banana plants this far north. I will hopefully have a picture up soon.

Comments (5)

• User
    11 years ago

Bananas are actually easy to grow as long as they get lots of humid heat, good sun (maybe with some shading in hottest areas), lots of water (assuming the weather is hot). They appreciate warmth at night as well in the growing season. Is the plant being grown inside or out at ths point? Given heat, sun and adequate water they are also strong feeders--I use a high nitrogen fertilizer. They are also quite bug resistant and apparently deer resistant. Some varieties pup better tan others, dwarfs seem to pup quite well. You can also store them in a state of dormancy for the winter.

• dproc22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much. The plant has been growing outside since I got it . It receives about 7 hours of direct sunlight and another 5 or 6 hours of indirect light. Do you happen to know what type of banana it is because at the store it just said banana plant. I hope the picture helps :)

• User
    11 years ago

Looks like the two I just bought from HD thousands of miles away and several zones away! Not sure what it is. At first I thought Basjoo but now think it is something else. Looking to add to the collection with some bloods and dwarfs. Dwarfs are great for suckering and cool tolerance by way.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

It looks like Musa Basjoo to me. Fast growth is very typical of bananas, and if you put it in the ground, it will probably grow even faster. Then just dig it up at the end of the season.

• dproc22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help. If I did plant it in the ground would it be easy to dig up in the fall and would it just be a giant houseplant or would I have to store its roots in a cold place. I have a realy sunny spot for it in my house in the winter. I noticed this year they had banana plants at the legislature building in Winnipeg I wonder what they do with them in the winter ( they are like 10' tall! ) One of the streets allso has palms planted in the median for miles but I think those may just be expensive annuals.