Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of purchasing a dwarf banana - which tastes the best??

Posted by tangerineman CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 21:56

Hi everyone,

I am new to the board, but I am thinking of purchasing a dwarf banana. I want something with a new unique flavor, and would love some feedback.

Ice-cream bananas - those sound great, how do they taste?

What are some recommended great flavors of bananas (other than the grocery store variety), that are available in dwarf form?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of purchasing a dwarf banana - which tastes the best

I've heard Ice Cream bananas taste very good, but they are by no means a dwarf banana plant.

o

Ice Creams are not my favorite and they are not dwarfs. It really depends on what flavor and texture you like. Ice Creams are dry and cakey but have a nice sweet favor. I tend to like the more acidic tasting bananas like Apples. There are some very tasty dwarf ladyfinger types like Dwarf Brazilians, and Namwas, and there are very sweet varieties like Dwarf Jamaicans that have a very light sweet flavor and a nice perfume like fragrance. Pitangadiego has grown and tasted a lot of varieties so he would really be the one to ask. I would recommend visiting his website or the bananas.org website for more info.

o

Dwarf Namwah, Gluay Namwah, pretty much any shorter Namwah is good (haven't had a bad one yet). Lakatan is a little taller, maybe a semi dwarf, but very good. All will beat out any Cavendish variety or type in my book.

o

Raja Puri is considered dwarf (8 ft average fruiting height, but really depends where grown), and is one of the best tasting fruit bearing banana in our colder area. I agree that Lakatan would be the best, but they can't be grown here. Next would be the Dwarf Namwahs (actually grows to 10 ft here) and a little bit more cold tolerant than Lakatan.

o

Where can I order banana fruit other than the ones I get at the store? I would like to try Ice Cream banana and others that pitangadiego mentioned.

o

Double Mahoi is my choice. After years of growing several dwarf varieties, I've dug up all of them and given them away except for Double Mahoi. They all tasted pretty much the same to me and Double Mahoi fruited at the shortest height. (This is probably the biggest thing for me.)I haven't gotten two stalks of fruit yet, but when I do, it will just be a bonus.

Double Mahoi: Short fruiting height, fruit is good tasting and relatively large and the plant seems to be as cold tolerant as any other variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here