Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Cavendish Pups

Posted by joyful_garden 9b-St. Cloud (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 23:35

I have had a Dwarf Cavendish for about 3 months now and it is growing so well! In fact it now has 4 pups surrounding it and I'm wondering if I should try and separate the pups from the mother plant or should I just leave them there? Is one way better than the other or does it not even matter? Thanks for any input. This is my first banana plant. I'm in FL by the way.

Joy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Cavendish Pups

To answer your question you must first decide your end goal. Are you growing for the tropical look and don't really care about fruit? If so, leave the pups alone and let the mat grow. Water and fertilize well for best look. Remove pups that grow outside your boundaries based on appearance.

Are you looking to produce the maximum amount of fruit per plant (and live in a climate where you can assure 18-24 or so months of growth until harvest)? If so, you need to reduce competition for water and nutrients. Thin the mat to one mother plant (fruiting or of fruiting size), one about half that age (the daughter), and a pup just emerging from the soil (call this the grand daughter). If your soil is very fertile and you are generous with water and fertilizer you may be able to have a few more active pstems per mat.

o
RE: Dwarf Cavendish Pups

I understand thinning the mat to one mother plant (mine is currently fruiting), one half that age, and one just emerging.

My question is about the pups I remove during the thinning...can I form another "mat" with them; plant them in separate pots; or do I have to let them go?

And, how exactly do I separate the pups? I don't want to damage the mother or surrounding plants.
Also my first banana plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here