Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo Pup Wilting/Drooping

Posted by mearly 7-8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 23:49

I have a 7ft Musa Basjoo in its 2nd season. Last year's spear pup grew to around 4ft tall with a 2.5-3ft pstem this year. I decided to separate it.

I started with a metal trowel and mallet, then popped it off cleanly with a spade. Of course only half of the baby corm has roots.

It was doing fine until late this afternoon, when the leaves (8 total, the biggest being approximately 2 ft long and 8 inches wide) started to droop significantly. I became worried with the new leaf that hadn't fully opened started to lean.

I watered it in nicely yesterday, so I was concerned about over watering. I checked the soil and it was damp and spongy, not dripping. I also popped the pup out of the new hole to raise it a few inches and added pea gravel and coco coir (the original soil mixture was mostly humus, some clay, peat moss and bark soil conditioner with some manure and milorganite).

Does anyone know if this drooping is normal, or should I be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo Pup Wilting/Drooping

Set it in the shade for a few days until it recovers- IMO it just has more leaves than the few roots can support. Dead heat of summer was perhaps not the best time to be doing this.

And a faster draining media would be better- adding BB's to pudding still leaves you with a cup of pudding :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here