Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrdibble

New banana

jrdibble
16 years ago

Hey gang. I just bought a Cavendish tree from Lowe's. First off, a question of definition....are all Cavendish plants "Dwarf Cavendish" or is that a separate plant altogether? My tag did not say dwarf on it. Secondly, I live in a condo so I can't plant it outside. I have a balcony with a western exposure that gets maybe four hours of direct sunlight. (South Florida.) I don't know how long it takes a banana tree to fruit, and since my lighting is limited I don't know if it will fruit at all. Am I better off just keeping it indoors, assuming my indoor lighting is pretty decent?

Comments (2)

• redmand
    16 years ago

Well, I'm no expert, but the bannana trees I just bought recommend a well lighted area, lots of fertilizer and water. MAybe you might be able to add a light near the plants to assist.

• right_coaster
    16 years ago

If you bought it from Lowes, then it is probably the dwarf (yes there is a non-dwarf species as well). These actually do very well in pots and can grow to 7-8 feet depending on how much you fertilize and water it. I keep a dwarf Cavendish on my patio and have to water it every day to keep it growing fast. These require well drained soil AND a lot of water...so if you have it in a pot, you will want to keep it somewhere that the pot can drain (like on your porch).

It may take 1-2+ years to produce fruit in a pot and it also depends on how much water/fertilize you give it. I say 1-2 years only because it is probably a very young plant coming from Lowes. Use a high potassium fertilizer for best results - I use a 6-6-18 tobacco fertilizer with high magnesium levels and mine produce about 2 new leaves a week.