Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needs advice to get banana to fruit

Posted by davidwv z6SouthernWV (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 0:44

I have a three year old banana that I received as a small pup, the person that gave it to me said it was supposed to be a Dwarf Cavendish. It has never flowered for me, but has grown really into what I would consider a large clump of pups.

The first year I had it in a pot about 12 - 14 inches in diameter and about 18 inches deep. I used peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and lots of composted cow manure for the potting mix. It grew well enough the first season.

Then last year (second season) I read that the bigger the pot, the better for the banana. So I repotted it into a large pot about 22 -24 inches in diameter and about 24 inches deep. Used the same type of potting mix and put a think layer of composted cow manure on the top of the potting mix. I kept it well watered and fertilized using the new Miracle Grow formula of 24-8-16. It just continued to grow more pups, never put up a shoot.

At the present time (3rd growing season), I am treating it like I did last year, lots of water and fertilizer. As I mentioned the pot is basically a clump of pups. Should I try to break these pups up and plant the best one all by itself in the pot or leave it be for now?

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow to show the plant.

I would really like to get this plant to bear fruit, even if it is too late to do so this year. Any advice concerning fertilizer, potting mix, pot size and over-wintering would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needs advice to get banana to fruit

You need a radically larger pot, or put it in the ground. Everything else sounds good. You could also thin out some of the pups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here