Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice on starting seeds

Posted by digs_in_dirt 8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 1:16

Hello all..Nice to meet you.I love banana trees. I have some Abyssianian and Darjeeling banana seeds that I ordered. The directions are to soak 24 hours in warm water and plant inside in a potting mixture that drains good. What should I use? Potting soil mixed with sand or leave the sand out? Or something else? Also to keep seeds under a bright light and keep warm. I don't have any light made just for that but I do have a vapor mercury sun bulb that I used on my tortoise. It's very bright and also has some heat. Or would a 100 watt regular light bulb work hanging above them? I am a newbie as you can tell. Guess I will be waiting weeks/month for them to sprout? Anyone else grow these from seeds. Thank you much for the help.
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice on starting seeds

Let's keep in touch on this one. I am currently soaking a bunch of Banana Seeds for planting later tonight. I have added some Giberellic Acid to help germination.

See thread on "I've gone bananas!"

I'm planting mine in regular compost soil, but have added Dr. Hornby's Pirahna and Voodoo Juice products to help break down the compost and provide nutrients as the seeds start.

I've read that Bananas are very hungry plants and it is recommended that nitrogen plant food be hadded at least every two weeks. I have some house plant solution on hand for that, from Miracle Grow.

Good Luck with your Banana Seeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here