Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be worried?

Posted by tashby40 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 1:44

I planted a banana tree in April of this year. It is doing well, but my friend came over today and said, "I wished I could have known you were going to plant a banana tree, because I would have encouraged you not to. It will take over!" She said they loved their banana tree, but then more shoots began to take over and even cracked their concrete as they grew underground. I have mine planted by our pool. It is still small enough to dig up. Should I?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be worried?

A banana isn't strong enough to create that kind of damage! I think the concrete was damaged already and even then I have my doubts.

Killing a banana is out of the question in my opinion...

Simon

o
RE: Should I be worried?

• Posted by unautre 8B San Antonio TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 22:05

Bananas don't "take over".

Your friend must be thinking of runnning bamboo, or kudzu, Japanese knotweed, or water hyacinth, or maybe ignorance, which spreads very aggressively.

The Musa genus of banansa will put up pups, but these are attached to the base of the main plant, not 20 feet distant in all directions. After several years of no pruning, you will have a fairly tight clump of ever-larger pseudostems, which is exactly what most bananas growers want anyway.

Some genus of bananas, like Ensete, don't even pup, have only one pseudostem, which dies after flowering/fruiting.

Banana roots are not woody and hard and ever-expanding like tree roots and don't crack pools or building foundations or pipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here