Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Mysore in SF bay area

Posted by GWlolo 9b/ Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 5:42

I am a reasonably experienced gardener but this is my first foray into bananas. I am in zone 9b in San Francisco bay area and have a decent sized lot but some shade. Summertime average highs are 80 degrees in July, Aug, Sep with a few 90s and 100s. Average winter lows are 38, 39 in Dec, Jan. Hardly any summer rain to speak of. Mid-May to late sep is pretty dry.

I just purchased a Mysore banana in a 8in pot. The plant is about a foot tall and it already has a pup. I am wondering if I should repot this in a bigger pot for this year or is it ready to go into ground. Ideally I would prefer to prepare the soil properly and plant into the ground. I have decent soil and can amend as necessary. I really would like a lot of big leaves sooner than later as well as fruit eventually. But if I need to bring it into the garage for winter ( we do get a handful of freeze days here), I can repot into a larger pot..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Mysore in SF bay area

• Posted by GWlolo 9b/ Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 10:49

Bump.. Hoping to get a response from someone.

o
RE: Planting Mysore in SF bay area

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 6:30

Hi
I would put it in the ground asap.
Put it in a spot with good sun and drainage and add as much organic matter as you can then mulch it to hold in the moisture. Keep it moist not wet and you will be fine. Once it starts putting out new leaves fertilize it regularly as long as the temp stays above 70. A nice pile of leaves around the base will be all you need for your freeze days. Your challenge will be water once it gets going... this forum is almost dead go to bananas.org if you need more support...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here