Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

How do you support a tree/stalk?

tomncath
14 years ago

My back yard is very small, and the area where I put these Mahoi bananas has shade to the east and west in the morning and afternoon. Consequently the trees grew to the east at an 80 degree angle. PROBLEM, since I noticed the first stalk of friut two days ago the tree is already leaning at an angle of probably 70-72 degrees, if I don't do something soon I'll probably lose the tree and fruit. Suggestions on how and where to support this tree/stalk will be appreciated.

Tom

Comments (10)

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Use a section of 2" PVC pipe with a T joint on one end. Attach a 90 degree piece on either end of the T, then a short piece of 2" pipe to make a big "U" shaped "holder" at the end of the long section of pipe. Just dry fit the pieces. Add longer sections of 2" pipe with a connector piece if the stalk is extremely high off the ground. Brace the other end of the long section of 2" pipe that is touching the ground with a brick or cinder block to keep from sliding off the banana pseudostem. Works like a champ.

Steve

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

Here's what I've done so far.

{{gwi:412793}}

{{gwi:412794}}

{{gwi:412795}}

I'm not wild about this setup but had to do something temporarily or I was going to lose the tree and stalk. I like your idea but I'm dimensionally challenged, can't picture the final product. Any chance you can post some pictures? Thanks again for the reply.

Tom

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Here's a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve, I've got it now. Nice albumn, I see some plumies in there too. I've got a nice Jeannie Moragne, be happy to send you a stick after they bloom this year if you're interested.

Tom

{{gwi:412796}}

{{gwi:412797}}

{{gwi:412798}}

• lac1361
    14 years ago

I appreciate the offer. I've got that particular plumeria already. Good luck with your bananas.

Steve

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My second Mahoi put out its fruit stalk much sooner than I'd expected so I decided to try staking the tree to compare how the two plants do. I purchased some 15" anchors and staked this one. The placement of the lines is not optimal but was necessary as I really couldn't place the lines in my neighbor's yard where it would have posed a problem mowing....

The first Mahoi is doing well with its 2x4 supports.

{{gwi:412799}}

{{gwi:412800}}

{{gwi:412801}}

{{gwi:412802}}

• figara
    14 years ago

Tom, I would love to have a cutting of your plumeria if you would like to send me one. You can send me an email if you want to share. Hope you do not mind that I asked.
    Thanks

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem figara, but they have not bloomed yet so at this point I'd save this link and then send me an email in early January, I'm in an area of Florida that gets NO frost so I'll be cutting them back then, probably have about 15-20 sticks to give away.

Tom

• figara
    14 years ago

yummy, yummy !!!