Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydroid_gw

Contagious Banana Fever

hydroid
16 years ago

Hello all, just wanted to say hello, I am a Banana newbe, and have enjoyed the helpful postings and pics on this forum. I was given a few handmedown (pups) from a landscaping friend early in the season and they are doing fine so far, although I have no idea what type they are. I also wanted some tall trees for shade next to my house so I got a Musa Basjoo (very nice, about 4 ft tall now). After hearing good feed back from a place in Florida called "Going Bananas" I ordered 3 Sabas last week. and was quite impressed with the product and service. I can't wait to see how these guys do. Anyway, I have been bitten by the banana bug and I think the fever has spread to a couple of my co-workers as we all notice and comment on bananas we see around town. They are planting bananas this week. Thanks

hydroid

Comments (4)

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Welcome Hydroid,

Your not the only one with the fever - my wife is trying to find a cure for mine ..lol. I used to be gung ho just for native plants but now since discovering the hardy bananas and palms I've had to rethink my business plans - now i will have a nursery for native plants and wing that will deal with tropicals for the collector - my interest is just to powerful to ignore with this stuff - lately Ive been really interested in the alocasia's and colocasia's these are very awesome plants but not hardy in my zone.

cheers

jeff

• hydroid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nyssaman:
    I was wondering if I was gonna even get a response, I guess everyone is out tending to their bananas. I am in South Alabama along the gulf coast and my elephant ears have always done very good, although my wife accidentally sprayed them with some weed kill this year, they are coming back strong. We have had rains all week so I am hoping it will kick in those new little Saba bananas, and give them a good start.
    Senseremente'
    hydroid

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Hydroid, where in Alabama is Zone 9? The only place I can possibly think of is Dauphin Island. I checked my USDA map and it shows all of South Alabama as a zone 8. There are zone 9 areas near Lake Ponchartrain and in north-central Florida. I'm outside of Birmingham and I'm envious. One of the reasons I ask is because we are considering moving south when I retire in a few years. LMK if you want other bananas. I have basjoo if you want to trade.

• hydroid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tsmith;
    We live in Gulf Shores, about 5 miles from the coast. I hope you can move south, you won't regret it, lots of folks from Birmingham have relocated here. We want to move further south when our house sells. We are looking at USVI or Guam. I would definately be interested in trading bananas but I don't have many pups as of yet, but we do have a few. Maybe you could drop by one weekend and check out Gulf shores, a good place to consider as a place to retire. Give me a PM when you get ready to make it down here. Senseremente'
    hydroid.