Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovethosepalms

Musa Basjoo Banana/tropical garden

lovethosepalms
18 years ago

Here is a picture of my two Musa Basjoo Banana plants, I purchased them off

of E-Bay in March and they were tiny plants. I potted the little guys up twice

before planting them in the ground, since in the ground these guys just amaze me

how fast they grow and one even though it is small one is putting out a pup. I

wanted a little topical garden and I think these Banana plants did add that

topical effect I was looking for. I just hope they get about 6 or seven feet

this season. This is my first year trying any type of Banana. I visit the Banana

Forum and I read and I learn. I know they need lot's of water and fertilizer and

lot's of sun.

I know I will have many questions on protection in the winter and some

general care. But I just thought I would share a picture of my labor.Â

{{gwi:412862}}

Â

Â

Comments (31)

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Congrats on your start. I bet after a few years both of those corners will be filled in with basjoos.

-Todd

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Todd, thanks for the support, I hope they do well. I sure am still learning about them.

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Is that a windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) you have growing there?
    {{gwi:412863}}
    We bought and planted 4 of them in the 5 gal size and they've probably doubled in size in one year. I've noticed that after the first year of getting used to the soil and rooting that the second year is mostly spent putting out new fronds.

-Todd

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

You'd better watch out! That's how I started, only I started with only one banana, carried back with me from Alabama. Now I have 150+ bananas. I predict in the future, you'll be relandscaping your yard in bananas and tropicals....
    Nice start!!!!
    Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: my crazy yard!

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Sandy.
    Being in zone 5 I'd be interested in what/if you do anything to your bananas in the winter. I assume those are Musa basjoos right? Do you just chop them down? Do you mulch over them for protection there? What do you do?

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Todd,

Yes that is a Windmill Palm I have several of them in pots and three in the ground. The one in the picture is a 3 gallon size I have several 5 gallon size Windmills but this one really needed to be potted up the root were coming out of the bottom of the pot so I decided to just put that one in the ground. I certainly do agree that when you either repot or plant them in the ground they pout for about a year before growing every much.

Sandy,

I hope you are wrong about me planting them everywhere because I am one of those people who canÂt just do a little I have to go all out. We have not had any rain for weeks so I spend most of my evening watering everything. I looked at your photo album your pond and your banana plants look really nice. How big did your first banana plant grow in the first year?

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

Most of these bananas are tropicals, I put them out in the spring, and dig them in the fall.They are gran nain, dwarf cavendish, zebrina, ice cream, manzano, cuban plantain, unknowns, chinese yellow, sumatrana x gran nain, high color minis, raji puri. I store the smaller guys in the greenhouse, potted, and stored the big guys in the basement
    last year. I lost all my height on the big ones because the basement was too warm, so they are going into the garage this fall, and it's not going to be nearly as warm, just above freezing.
    I just got my first musa basjoo last year, I chickened out and dug it up in the fall. But I did plant some new ones this spring that I plan on leaving out this fall and mulching heavily. I don't plan on retaining any height on them, just keeping them alive will be good for me.
    My first banana, three years ago, was an 8" dwarf cavendish I picked up on a trip to Alabama. It got to be around 6 feet tall the first year. That started this whole thing!

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Sandy/LoveThosePalms.

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went out this morning and looked at the Bananas and both now are putting out pups, each one has one pup. I am just amazed how fast these darn things grow.

Sandy, I might chicken out too but I think I am going to over winter them in the ground. I will let the pups get a few days older and I will post a picture.

These plants are pretty cool I might have to change my name for lovethosepalms to lovethosebanans just kidding Palms are my first love.

Todd, you have any pictures of your Windmills?

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I sure wish there was a way on the site to edit your post.

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

LoveThosePalms
    Yes, I have pictures of three windmills on my memberpage in addition to some bananas and cannas. The fouth windmill is in the front yard and I'll be adding a pic of that one soon.
    -Todd

Here is a link that might be useful: Todd's Memberpage

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

LoveThosePalms.
    I just now updated my memberpage with two new pics this morning so you may have to hit refresh to update.

• DeltaTropicsGuy
    18 years ago

Sandy - what species of banana is this? http://community.webshots.com/photo/200685729/211965090iXuedr

And does it by any chance have a pinkish/red stalk?

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Todd,

I just looked at all your pictures; your lawn looks great like a carpet. I loved your pictures of the banana plants and I so loved your Windmill palm pictures.

We have not received any rain for several weeks so my lawn looks like crape, we have over five acres so watering is out of the question.

My Banana plants are still growing very well and now one plant has two pups and the second one still only has one.

My Windmills are greener than yours but it might because you are two zones higher and your temperature has a higher day time high.

Palms no doubt are my favorites but these Banana plants sure are amazing to grow.

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

LoveThosePalms
    Thank you so much. Yes, I'm having a hard time getting them nitrogen to get green using protein-based organic feeds/additives. I just gave them some Greensand over the weekend to add some iron and potassium so hopefully that will speed things along.

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

That banana plant is definitely a dwarf cavendish, it was only about 2 feet tall in the picture. It did really well there in the partial shade under the tree. Kept its color for a long time.
    Actually, now I think the sumatrana X gran nain cross bananas I have are prettier and showier, and they seem to be growing very fast when you put them out into the ground. I'll probably phase out most of my dc's eventually and replace them with this cross. They get edible bananas too.

Here is a link that might be useful: sumatrana X gran nain cross babies

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

here ya go ,, in CT,, basjoo I have another "grove " of them I will take some more photos..

{{gwi:412864}}

{{gwi:412865}}

• thecurious1
    18 years ago

Michaelzz-

Those plants look wonderful. I'm in chicago, zone5 and am looking at planting one this year. Is it too late to get it established? Do you have them in pots? do you dig them up in the winter? Inquiring minds want to know. H. Lee

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Alright LoveThosePalms.
    It's been a couple weeks... we need an updated picture of your basjoos. I know they grow quickly.

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will up-date the picture soon, I had family from Ca., in for a couple of weeks, so I have not got a chance to up-date the garden pictures. Pictures coming soon.

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Hey Love,

I planted Basjoo for the first time this year and I can't believe how fast they grow. I check my plants for japs (beetles) every morning and evening. This morning I had a surprise. I noticed a large leaf coming out where I thought there was no plant. On closer inspection it was a pup of my basjoo that I had newly planted on June 14th was growing FAST. It is now as almost as high as the mother.

I had noticed the pup before but it was tiny. I checked the leaves on it. The first leaf is tiny, the second is 8", the third 12", the fourth 24". The whole pup is about 30" tall. It did that all in just one month. There are nine new pups underneath the two larger ones now. If they get this big by the end of August I don't know what I am going to do with 11 basjoos.

This is on 6/24:
    {{gwi:412866}}

These are from 7/23:
    {{gwi:412867}}
    {{gwi:412868}}

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, here is an up-date on my little tropical garden, you can see for yourself
    every thing has grown since the last up-date. Well, not the Windmill Palm but it
    is doing well the Elephant Ears are growing very large and the Banana plants has
    at least double in size. Each Banana Plant now has several pups I think they
    like the 90 plus temperatures with the high humidity. Â

{{gwi:412871}}

Here is a closer look at one of the Banana plant. You can see the pups coming on
    strong.

Â

{{gwi:412873}}

I am wondering if I should cut a couple of pups off and plant them in pots just
    in case old man winter kills my mama plants? Would like to have some suggestion
    on that matter.

Â

Â

Â

Â

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

Wow... what a difference a few weeks makes hey? Looks great. Thanks for the updated photos. I'd take a pup or so off just in case. Maybe wait until early fall so they're a little bigger and stronger.
    -Todd

• njoynit
    18 years ago

I enjoy my Basjoo,but have not seen them flower.I have a section of bed I will be re doing this fall and has my largest basjoo growing there and will pot up for in-house.I've just left them in ground and cut back some in spring when things warm up.
    Sandy....I'm just amazed at your tropical pond up there in Indy.LOL.I moved here from Indpls 5 years ago.I just got my SIL down here now too.I had my 1st pond in Indiana.I have a 13x20x3 pond now and have 3 Pekin ducks(Indy/Tex/Galveston)I really love the growing season now.Its L O N G.SIL is going through heat adjustment.Is quiet funny to watch.I think she never felt heat index over 103 till she got here.

Todd.your yard looks great.so does your grass.I'm always being *gripped* at about the way I mow.I guess I should be mowing in "your direction" huh.I'd like to hear more about the molasas theroy with the fireants.Most of my yard is st aguatine grass.1 far end.I believe less watering& depending on mother nature has it look not as nice and needs mowed less in summer as well.Nice to hear info on my windmill palms.I bought 2 for around my pond last fall(january?)I'd say they've maybe gotton 1 frond maybe 2 since been planted but look fine.I'd almost thought to dig back up and add more compost and fill back in.but guess is normal huh.....

I guess I only have a April shot of the flower bed,but will eventually make it to neighbors computer to load my pics to a CD so can veiw on my computer(My usb ports are on vacation still.DEll 8250)My basjoo are about 4 ft now.

I'd love to get hold of a praying hands banana.I love the look!

Here is a link that might be useful: photo album

• Todd_In_Texas
    18 years ago

njoynit
    Thanks.

Regarding molassess... IÂve used it successfully to not only keep fireants out of my Texas lawn but to also increase the quality of my soil, lawn and garden. I apply granulated dried molasses at a rate of 25-50lbs per 1000 sq ft but IÂve heard that diluting liquid molasses in water and spraying on your lawn works well too and may have added benefits. Molasses is a powerful carbon (sugar) source that really kicks up the overall number of microorganisms in your soil. The microbes in soil feed on hydrocarbon chains, of which sugar. This increase in microbial activity and competition upsets the fireants somehow and they move out to more sterile locations.
    {{gwi:149819}}
    {{gwi:149821}}
    Here's one of the articles online I found regarding fireants and molasses. I hope this info helps.
    Molasses Makes Fire Ants Move Out
    By the way... Buy your dried molasses from a feed store. Don't pay twice as much at a nursery for exactly the same product.
    Below is a local price comparison:

Nursery
    ================
    50lb bag $24.98
    Feed Store
    ================
    50lb bag $11.95

If you need help finding a feed store near you click on the directory below. It lists feed stores by state then by city. I found three feed stores within 7 miles of my house with that link.

-Todd

• jimviviano
    17 years ago

hi!

just joined the forum so i dont have pics or a page nor do i necessairly know how to (but i will check)! i am looking for specifics on wintering musa and wind palms. i have 4 musas in the ground that are 2-6 ft. tall since spring - sure shows what location will do in planting! i also have 2 wind palms in the ground and i will winter two others inside. they are 3 ft. tall. any suggestions for each would b eappreciated. i have read to cut the musa back to 3 ft., remove leaves and mulch with cage and tarp cover (thanks phil on this site). read about using a saw horse with tarp cover on the palms but figure i need mulch as well. any advice would be apreciated. also looking for ideas on other cold hardy tropicals (z6)that can make it with a little help. i am not too keen on digging stuff up each year - so far!

thanks

jim

• chitra
    16 years ago

I am originally from India. I had 100s of Banana plants in my backyard and I missed them so much after I moved to Maryland. I use banana leaves for many Indian rituals and I was spending $100 each year on leaves.
    Accidentally I got into the website and read all the message about this particular variety of banana plant that is hardy and could withstand cold. I ordered 2 plants from a website (greenearth) and one from local Lowe's garden center.
    I have planted one on ground and 2 are still in pot. I would love to get information about
    1. planting
    2. soil conditioning
    3. watering
    4. fertilizing
    5. care in all seasons and any other relevant information for me to enjoy the banana plant like all of you. Wish me good luck with my banana plants.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

lovethosepalms, how are you going to protect your windnills this winter. I notice they are out in open ground, well away from the warmth of a house foundation.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

lovethosepalms, just seen your post on windmills on the palm forum. wow, great! You are in zone 6 and not 6b?

• tropicaljake
    16 years ago

I got a Musa from Lowes this spring, it is my first Banana. It is growing pretty slow, it is just now getting taller, it has been putting new leaves out one a week. Last week a pup came up while I was on vacation, then yesterday I noticed a second one has popped up.

• lovethosepalms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nucci60,

The Windmill in this picture has been in the ground two years and I used a over turned trash can over it when it got down below 12 degrees and if it was going to rain or snow or sleet.