Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elbourne_gw

Bananas and Buried Utilities

Elbourne
12 years ago

I'd like to plant some banana trees beside my house. The area contains all the underground Utilities for the house, gas line, sewer, and electric. The power line is in conduit. Everything runs a good 2' underground. The root system of the Banana trees will not pose any danger to the buried lines, will they?

btw, I want to plant something with a little highth to it, since my house sits 12' above grade on pilings. We live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi.

Comments (5)

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

The root systems are not woody but do tend to turn into another banana, even though the corms don't usually start that deep it's probably not worth the try. Bananas will get large and cover a large area, if you plant on both sides of the buried cables they should fill in. I would keep the pups from coming up around the cables. Better safe than sorry.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Just got back from the Gulf Coast today and had stopped by to visit someone near the Gulf who had about hundred banana plants scattered across their property, among large palms and other tropicals.You guys are fortunate to live in such a warm zone. Try to plant your bananas in a
    mound. Dig a shallow hole and build
    up a mound of rich mulch/ compost. I
    believe your bananas will thrive near
    the top of the ground and avoid deep
    growth that may interfere with your
    utilities. This is how I have planted all my bananas and they do very well. I add to the mounds throughout the year and build up as the bananas grow. I have nothing but hard clay and it appears to me all my bananas are basically growing up ( the corn ) instead of down. I have four nice groves of Basjoo, single Ice Cream, Black Thia, and new Saba planted this Spring. All doing great in a top of the ground type set up.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Banana trees would go in between the house and the stairs.

{{gwi:412926}}

Here is a link that might be useful: New Little House

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

I would build a mound and possibly build a back stop out of 4x4 posts and 1x8 treated (double stacked) to hold the mound from underneath your house and steps.That area would look great with a few tall banana trees. Your link would not open for me.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a great idea. A big raised bed there might kill two birds with one stone. The soil doesn't seem all that great there anyway. Since I have a large stash of concrete blocks already, I could build a raised border with those. I also have a large supply of cardboard that I could cover with grass clippings and mulch. If I build that up now and let it compost until next year, the bed should be ready for some nice banana trees next spring. I think that might be my plan. Thanks!

btw, the link is to my Facebook photo album where I have pictures of the house being built. I must have done something wrong. I'll try again. Facebook > Photos > The Elbourne House

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Elbourne on Facebook

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms