Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonrobbins

super dwarf types

johnsonrobbins
14 years ago

I am very new to banana's but am interested in the smaller indoor types. I recently purchased both a super dwarf and a truly tiny. I would really like to know if there is any chance these plants will actually produce fruit for me. Does anyone have experience with these or has anyone heard of success with these smaller banana types? There may be some key needs that should be addressed to get fruit. Anyway Thanks for your help in advance.

Jon Robbins

Comment (1)

• bananafan
    14 years ago

I have no luck with both the dwarf varieties--dwarf and superdwarf. This doesn't mean they won't fruit for you. I just don't know why they don't produce fruit for me. My other taller varieties have fruited--plantain, Apple Banana, Rajapuri and Praying Hands. My Rajapuri seems to be very prolific. It's fruiting every six months. Praying Hands take a little longer, but it does regularly throw out a bloom or two. I have other varieties which are not as established, so I would have to wait and see what they'll do.

As to your question about some key needs that should be addressed to get fruit, I would say give them lots of water and fertilize them regularly. My bananas are all on drip irrigation, but I heard it's not enough, so once in a while, I would run the water hose on them, especially when there's no rain. I also try to feed them during the growing season. Whether they produce fruit or not, I believe it's also dependent on their species and habits and mostly their mood. But, lately, I have been wondering why some aren't producing fruit yet even though they've been planted to the ground a few years already. Maybe there might be something to do with the soil composition and how well it drains. This, I still haven't completley got a good grip yet.

Rajapuri doesn't grow very tall. It fruits at about 8 ft in height, so it could grow it in a pot easily. When the weather gets warmer, you can plant it outside. Since it fruits regularly, it's possible for you to get fruit in the same season. In any case, I hope you'll come up with something productive to plant soon.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!