Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Banana/Bamboo hedge

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

I'm planning a mixed privacy hedge to run along a driveway on the west side of the property. I will have a long ridge made, with railroad ties to keep the soil in place.

I will use medium/small clumping Bamboos, Dwarf Bananas (8' psuedostems)and maybe add some Moringas. I ended up with 18 Moringa trees, after every single seed I planted germinated(G).

I have 65 small Green/Red Banana plants in 1 and 3 gallon pots. I had purchashed a flat of them and potted them up. They are growing rapidly.

Ideas on spacing? I want them not to be too crowded, but want the screening hedge to end up looking lush. I can make the planting mounds wide enough to put Bamboo behind the Bananas, they don't have to be side by side. I thought the Moringas would add an interesting leaf pattern and gnarly trunks too. I don't want very tall plants, due to this hedge being the first thing the hurricane winds will hit, since we lost nearly all our native trees.

I saw the Banana/Bamboo planting photos posted here in another thread, and think it looks beautiful!

The planting area will be about 60'-80' long and up to 9' wide, if needed.

Is 12" between Bananas too close? Would it look better with both taller and shorter varieties mixed in?

There is a spectacular-looking Banana hedge in my neighborhood, at least 150' long. I have not been able to catch anyone at home to ask about it. They look very close together, and are quite tall- taller than I want for my hedge. Sure is gorgeous!

Lisa

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES