Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandit_trans_am

Musa Basjoo Tips Needed

Bandit_Trans_Am
10 years ago

A few years ago I purchased a few Musa Basjoos online, and started growing them in pots as I did not have a yard to plant them in. This spring, I bought a house, and planted them in my landscaping. I have several issues I am concerned about.

1) The St. Louis summers get upwards of 100F - 105F The plants are in direct sunlight for roughly 4 hours per day (10a.m. to 2p.m.) and then shaded by a large oak tree in the afternoon. Will this present a problem during the hottest part of the summer?

2) When I planted the trees roughly 3 months ago, they were about 6 inches in height. Currently they are about 3 feet in height. I started putting milorganite on them about 2 weeks ago, and am starting to get very large leafs (30 inches in length). While the leafs are getting very large, the plant itself isn't getting much taller. I have two pups growing at the base, and will be separating them in a week or so. Should I see significant growth after separating the pups? Also, would trimming off the lower leafs promote growth?

3) I want to dig them up this winter and bring them inside in order to keep the height next spring. What steps should I take to ensure the plant stays healthy over the winter months? Will it require a grow light?

4) I placed a milorganite around the base about two weeks ago. I used roughly a red Solo cup full around the base. How much should I actually use, and is it possible to over use milorganite?

5) The Missouri soil is....well....mostly clay. I am afraid of over watering as clay has very poor drainage properties. How often should I be watering, and for how long?

I'd like to get as much height out of the plants as possible by the end of the growing season. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• chrisware
    10 years ago

Hey there,
    Look in to some discussion on planting basjoo deep. I grow them here in WV, where our winters are horrible. Most of mine are planted up to 2 feet deep. Though I didn't protect any last winter, I have before and continued the growth the next season by up to three feet to start with. Even without protection, one of mine is already putting leaves on the roof of my garage.

Even though they have started from near ground level is year, the leaf size just about picks up where it leaves off in the fall

I do however, always keep at least two inside as insurance, but since I work in a school, I have lots of sunny places to put them.

I do have one at ground level that has lived,but there is always a piece of the clump which rots out each year. The only time it didn't, it was protected by garbage bags of leaves and wood shavings piled on top of it.

I just use plain old miracle grow, but I need to look in to the milogranite.
    Good luck,
    Chris

• Bamatufa
    10 years ago

My personal opinion based only on 5-6 years of growing and observation is soil preparation. From north central Alabama to the gulf coast I've seen bananas planted in the local soil from clay to sandy soil with little or no amendment & they are small in height. I believe
    the corm needs room to grow and expand with ease to get the growth on the P- stem. My nanners are 12-15 ft. tall & my younger plants not far behind and catching up.When planting, I dig out my local clay soil and discard. Dig a large hole and fill with store bought pine mulch and so called top soil (bagged). The cheap stuff. Not the high dollar potting soil. Make it wide,deep ,loose, and organic. I will also rake up and add any natural mulch in the area,leaves,etc.Water and fert &I they will grow like crazy. I add new pine mulch in spring and fall. Just my opinion; #1 is soil #2&3 is water and fertilizer.

• Bamatufa
    10 years ago

My personal opinion based only on 5-6 years of growing and observation is soil preparation. From north central Alabama to the gulf coast I've seen bananas planted in the local soil from clay to sandy soil with little or no amendment & they are small in height. I believe
    the corm needs room to grow and expand with ease to get the growth on the P- stem. My nanners are 12-15 ft. tall & my younger plants not far behind and catching up.When planting, I dig out my local clay soil and discard. Dig a large hole and fill with store bought pine mulch and so called top soil (bagged). The cheap stuff. Not the high dollar potting soil. Make it wide,deep ,loose, and organic. I will also rake up and add any natural mulch in the area,leaves,etc.Water and fert &I they will grow like crazy. I add new pine mulch in spring and fall. Just my opinion; #1 is soil #2&3 is water and fertilizer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting