Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are you supposed to peel back dead leaves

Posted by
jeff-n-jessa 4
(gw:jeff-n-jessa) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 13:35

Hi - I was at a nursery yesterday and they were peeling back the dead leaves on their banana tree to reveal the pinkish flesh underneath on the pseudostem. Are you supposed to do this? Obviously bananas aren't their specialty (couldn't even tell me what type of banana it was), but I'm a novice as well...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are you supposed to peel back dead leaves

Any part of the leaves including the stem that is still green is providing power to the plant from the sun. I do however from time to time peel some of the old ugly ones off to reveal the nice looking p-stem underneath. I usually do this with my reds because the fresh p-stem looks so cool!

o

Do this very conservatively as this seems to lessen the bulk to the pstem. When I cut an old leaf off I leave a little of the petiol to dry out on its own. Otherwise it can choke the pstem. Then once they are dried I bend it back and cut it off. From there I only cut stem matter when it has become paper dry and I only cut the papery part. If you are constantly cutting into live matter it is always drying the cut edge so you can loose potential girth at the pstem. This has been my personal experience.

o

Cut off anything that is brown or yellow. Leave anything that is green (or red, if it is a red banana). Momo1 has it right.

o

Hi - here's a picture of the plant

I'm not sure if you can make it out but the pseudostem is basically covered in dead leaves. Also, can anyone confirm that this is a Dwarf Cavendish? I assume it is, since the tag says "banana dwarf".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here