Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Musa Lady Finger's Fruiting

bananafan
10 years ago

I've posted a similar entry in the Tropical Forum, but I thought I would also post it here since there are so many banana cultivators here.

In any case, I originally thought it was the Gold Finger Banana, but this is in fact the Lady Finger that is fruiting. I am counting four hands at the moment, two still tucked in the bloom. I have this temptation to pry it open and look, but patience is a virtue ;)

This variety produces small little bananas and hence the name. It's pleasantly sweet tasting and an annual producer thus far. It has a large trunk and the maximum height is about 8-10 ft which is what I prefer. The taller varieties are handsome looking, but leave behind too much mess to clean up. Anway, thanks to the past warm Winter weather and lots of rain last Summer and this Summer too. Bananas really do a lot better with lots of rain and high humidity.

So far, Raja Puri, Lady Finger and Gold Finger have been willing producers in my turf. Although I have had Praying Hands, Super plantain, Mysore and Valery fruited in the past, they don't seem to be consistent in their blooms. Otherwise they would fruit late in the Fall which allows no time for fruit development before arrival of the Winter cold snaps.

Do you have some varieties that works well for you? What are your experience with the different varieties that you grow?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio