Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abenjamin_44

Musas leaves burn and will not grow

abenjamin_44
12 years ago

My musas have been in the ground for over 2 months and aren't doing anything. While the put off a new leaf every week or so, every leaf browns and burns, there is almost no root development, and the plants have only added a foot in height. I've tried tons of water, less water, they have been fertilized regularly, and the soil has been amended with compost and has adaquate drainage. I live in Boise, ID and we are usually hot and very dry all summer. We had an unusual late spring that was very wet and cool, but we're up to normal now. Also, the musas are in full sun all day. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

The leaves burning can be from N burn.
    What are you fertilizing with and how often?

• abenjamin_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been using slow release Oscote, every other week. The leaves only brown when they burn. They come out nice and green, but slowly burn staring from the tips and edges once the sun gets to them. The plants, especially the roots, just aren't developing at all. I would post pictures, but I don't have any links set up to do so.

• subtropix
    12 years ago

This has been such a HOT and DRY Summer for so many of us. I am glad I have my bananas in containers this year. Normally, I would have them in the ground but afraid that any water I'd put into the ground would be sucked up by surrounding soil. I know you said you have amended the soil with compost but I can only think that there is something the plant is not liking about the soil. Bananas like a fertile soil rich in humus. Some soils are very bad at retaining moisture--mulching might help retain some soil moisture. Can't see how one can OVERwater a banana at this time of the year. Some shading from the hottest sun is probably a good thing for you. I know it's hard to believe, but your sun at this time of year is stronger and more harsh than in tropical lowlands were bananas thrive. If you compare Boise to Miami for example, yes, Miami's sun is more directly overhead at this time of the year, but the humid, thick, tropical, lowland atmosphere filters out a lot that potent sun--combined this time of year--with a lot of cloudiness and frequent, cooling thundershowers. (I can work in my lowland garden all day without burning, but whenever I have gone to 'the mountains', I really burn.) Boise, is at some degree of altitude (therefore, relatively strong sun) and your summer climate is also very sunny and DRY. So, it is a harsh situation for bananas and other tropicals. Good luck with them.

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

The fertilizer is the problem. If you're using slow release every other week instead of every three months or however long the package says it is supposed to last, you're burning your roots and that's why no growth.
    Are the leaves coming out ok and then almost immediately getting a crispy ring around the edges? Up the watering and lay off the fertilizer until it's used up (check the package to see when that is.)

• abenjamin_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the leaves were getting a crispy ring almost immediately. I've watered a bunch over the last few days and the newest leaf on each plant isn't burning. Now how can I get it growing?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

mine is doing the same thing. The new leaf comes out and before it even opens the edges are bruning up and turning brown and crispy. I think it could be the intense sun we are having here in OK. it gets plenty of water daily and soluble miracle grow in 1/4 strength weekly. could be too much fert so ill cut back to once a month and see if things change. Highs this week are headed for 110+, hot, hot, hot!

mike

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm