Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie asks for the basics with bananas indoors

Posted by terribleted (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 14:22

Hello!

I'm interested in growing bananas (indoors), mainly becuase I live in Wisconsin, where winter is the best 8 months of the year. I'm told that some varities, e.g. Musa velutina, can thrive indoors. I'd like to give it a try. But before I do, what do I need to know? Potassium, obviously. What else.

In particular, I'd like to know how to get bright colorful flowers and fruit, and how to keep the plant from growing over 8 feet tall indoors!

Thank you for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie asks for the basics with bananas indoors

I can't really help you with the first question (I'm trying to fruit a Dwarf Orinoco inside myself) but I can help you with the second: To keep the plant from getting too big, keep it inside a smaller-sized pot.

I would say an 18 inch pot would be a good size for indoor use (correct me if I'm wrong; I don't have as much experience as some of the members here.)

o
RE: Newbie asks for the basics with bananas indoors

As far as blooming and fruiting.. the bigger pot, the better, I'd say.

And potassium.. Pitangadiego once said he'd tried potassium and noticed no difference. Maybe he'll chime in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here