Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant musa basjoo?

Posted by Allen456 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:39

My local nursery had a 50% off sale and I couldn't resist. Is it too late in the summer to put it in the ground? I live in zone 8, so our late summers can be rough. I can prepare the planting hole properly and water as often as needed, but I could also put it in a pot and put it in the ground next spring.

Comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant musa basjoo?

I would do as you stated, prepare the hole and buy now, water as needed, if the sun gets to hot for it you can always put up some type of sun blocker, since its started to get really hot here in NY my nana grows a new leaf daily, if you can purchase them at 1/2 price buy more than one, keep one in a container.
Christine

o

Thanks for your reply. Doing just that.

The one is in in the ground, and we're fortunate enough to have run into a string of cool, cloudy, rainy days. Once the heat returns next week, I'll keep my on it and decide if I need to put up a tent to shade it from scorching August sun.

I first considered planting a banana tree over ten years ago, psyched to finally have one in the ground!

o

Here it is, in the ground.

Umbrella for scale, I mean shade ;)

The Acer Palmatum in the background is about 10ft away.

o

That looks great, I bet next week it doubles in size.
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here